Old Axe

gobbypunk

So I Have my grandads old axe it is cool and very old my grandad died when I wad young he was a carpenter in the Welsh coal mines my uncle gave it to me when we made up after yrs of not talking so its kinda precious to me it cuts kindeling well but other people dont care for it like I do and the kneck of the handle where it goes through the head is getting damaged what if anything can I do to protect it as I want to keep its original handle as long as possible but also let it be used

• Like 4

All my grandads old axes had a piece of thin tin around that part of the handle to protect them from that,also he did it to his pleaching axes aswell

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

So I Have my grandads old axe it is cool and very old my grandad died when I wad young he was a carpenter in the Welsh coal mines my uncle gave it to me when we made up after yrs of not talking so its kinda precious to me it cuts kindeling well but other people dont care for it like I do and the kneck of the handle where it goes through the head is getting damaged what if anything can I do to protect it as I want to keep its original handle as long as possible but also let it be used

• Like 1

I’ve done some in the past with starter cord, kite string or paracord whipping, quite simple to do.

I’ve not red the full site but the pics will show you how

WWW.BUSHECHO.COM

How To Wrap A Tomahawk Or Axe Handle With Paracord. - While there are plenty of other ways to wrap the handle, this way is simple and doesn’t take much time.

• Like 2

I've both whipping and an inner tube but I have used a section of tractor inner tube wrapped round and whipped over with fishing net string, which seems to be about the cheapest and most durable. I have recently heat shrunk a PET bottle on to hold it all together and will be seeing how that lasts, mind I don't see the damage now the volunteers don't get to use them.

• Like 2

A cheap quick fix is cohesive bandage or vetrap available from most farm equine  shops

i use it after ive made up or restored double and single bit axes for customers 

I wrap it on a few layers for protection and it’s a brilliant shock absorber too try them out before shipping ,  then I can cut it off with theee old pocket knife 

and ship them out 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, neiln said:

I like the heat shrunk bottle idea, might try that. What bottle did you use?

It wasn't quite as straightforward as I said, I found a squash bottle was too big and a bath foam one too small, so I made a slitting jig I saw on the internet and started to unwind the PET into a tape, I had problems and could only maintain the cut a few feet instead of unravelling the whole bottle. I think a Coke bottle would be easier as it is totally smooth. Then I wrapped the tape into a whipping and heat shrunk that at 250C. I have yet to see how it will fare.

• Like 2

I've thought about getting some ABS plumbing waste pipe and heating that and forming into a close fitting collar.  ABS is very impact resistant and softens at a fairly low temp, about 110C iirc.  Never got round to trying it though.