Trash talk on Site

benedmonds

Well that just about sums up this forum doesn't it. I asked a perfectly reasonable question related to what was being discussed at the time, and was told to answer would derail the thread. Then people see an opportunity to have a dig at someone and suddenly it's back to 'no holds barred'. 

Edited by Retired Climber
  • Like 2

I must say, I'm all for questioning stuff on forums but I draw the line at attacking/effecting someone's business. Spud does a bloody good job and he's also a massive contributor on here saving people hundreds in repairs. Calling out his bread and butter work as BS, especially when you aren't even a competing company seems pointless.

I'm not having a go at all by the way, just think that directly effecting someone's business isn't necessary 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think this thread should be deleted along with many of its contributiors. I rarely post on here these day because I can't be dealing with the massive lack of respect many members have.
Can you not see that you have turned a thread about how bad it is to call people names etc into a thread where you are calling people names. Then people who think they are not included by the op come back and call the name callers names.
Takes two to tango, don't feed the trolls and have some respect for your selves and each other.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

I think this thread should be deleted along with many of its contributiors. I rarely post on here these day because I can't be dealing with the massive lack of respect many members have.
Can you not see that you have turned a thread about how bad it is to call people names etc into a thread where you are calling people names. Then people who think they are not included by the op come back and call the name callers names.
Takes two to tango, don't feed the trolls and have some respect for your selves and each other.

On the contrary, this is bringing them out, and making my job easier.

Plus its nice to see exactly what people think and why they choose to post less.

Thats 1 down anyway :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hmmm

I have just read through this thread.

The current circumstances have put people under a lot of stress, not always in obvious ways. Is the stress of someone who is flat out, working all hours any greater than that of the person who is sat at home on furlough with nothing to do except home-school the children while wondering whether they will ever have a job to go back to any greater or less? They are both difficult situations but are likely to provoke different responses. This can make people do things which are out of character (I logged in to Arbtalk for the first time since 2016!) and perhaps it calls for some additional tolerance and stopping to think before typing for just a little longer than normal.

There are definitely some changes. This used to be advertised as a family friendly forum - it definitely isn't that at the moment. There are still some people about who have been around a lot longer than me and there is still a transient group of people who I'm not quite sure what they really want out of being on the forum. The difference seems to be in the balance.

I originally joined Arbtalk because I was looking for some sensible advice regarding repairs on older, large saws and my local dealer just wanted to sell me a new MS880. I have a relevant interest in a number of topics, from milling to growing top fruit to reintroduction of disease resistant elms, so I stayed.

I dropped out in 2016 because when the forum platform changed it wouldn't run properly on my very slow internet connection and I realised that I didn't miss it, mainly due to certain content which seemed to be taking over - the point of being a member of the forum was for enjoyment and information and it wasn't doing the former. At the time, such content was limited to certain parts of the forum but it now seems to be more widespread - even a discussion about lo-pro milling equipment which has now moved on to the capabilities of the 090 (all good stuff) seems to have random interjections with a different agenda that' fortunately, I am not really party to.

From Steve's posts, it looks like I may have put in an appearance just a few days early. Maybe with a bit of tidying up, longer daylight hours, a hope of a return to some level of normality in work and family life and things might settle down a bit. I hope so as I would rather not disappear for another 5yrs.

Alec

• Like 8

1 minute ago, agg221 said:

Hmmm

The current circumstances have put people under a lot of stress, not always in obvious ways. Is the stress of someone who is flat out, working all hours any greater than that of the person who is sat at home on furlough with nothing to do except home-school the children while wondering whether they will ever have a job to go back to any greater or less? They are both difficult situations but are likely to provoke different responses. This can make people do things which are out of character (I logged in to Arbtalk for the first time since 2016!) and perhaps it calls for some additional tolerance and stopping to think before typing for just a little longer than normal.

There are definitely some changes. This used to be advertised as a family friendly forum - it definitely isn't that at the moment. There are still some people about who have been around a lot longer than me and there is still a transient group of people who I'm not quite sure what they really want out of being on the forum. The difference seems to be in the balance.

I originally joined Arbtalk because I was looking for some sensible advice regarding repairs on older, large saws and my local dealer just wanted to sell me a new MS880. I have a relevant interest in a number of topics, from milling to growing top fruit to reintroduction of disease resistant elms, so I stayed.

I dropped out in 2016 because when the forum platform changed it wouldn't run properly on my very slow internet connection and I realised that I didn't miss it, mainly due to certain content which seemed to be taking over - the point of being a member of the forum was for enjoyment and information and it wasn't doing the former. At the time, such content was limited to certain parts of the forum but it now seems to be more widespread - even a discussion about lo-pro milling equipment which has now moved on to the capabilities of the 090 (all good stuff) seems to have random interjections with a different agenda that' fortunately, I am not really party to.

From Steve's posts, it looks like I may have put in an appearance just a few days early. Maybe with a bit of tidying up, longer daylight hours, a hope of a return to some level of normality in work and family life and things might settle down a bit. I hope so as I would rather not disappear for another 5yrs.

Alec

Good to read you. Hows the forum running for you now? Upgraded server a few months back so hopefully that has made a difference for you.

Hmmm

Alec
Great to hear from you Alec. Missed your input here.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Good to read you. Hows the forum running for you now? Upgraded server a few months back so hopefully that has made a difference for you.

Hi Steve, good to be back and see various familiar names around still.

The forum is running very well now but it isn't a direct comparison. Firstly, the computer died so I now have something faster and secondly we managed to get fibre broadband installed to the house, so we went from a mile of single-strand copper cable and dial-up speeds to something staggeringly quicker. All working nicely.

Alec

• Like 4