2.2 Transit engine noise.

Paddy1000111

Just looking for the opinion of someone with a 2.2 transit (MK8 preferably). I'm meant to be doing a click and collect thing on a transit tomorrow and the dealer has sent me a video of the engine idling and some other videos. It's a cold engine, he revs it at 1:40, I noticed a diesel knock noise as the engine drops from higher rpm to idle. Can someone with a transit confirm if this is a normal noise? I know I get it with my TD5 defender as that has a "rough spot" between power and power off. 

I've got 14 days to return it and a 3 month warranty if it's off. I would have thought the RAC guy would have picked up the noise if it was an issue when he did his inspection but I guess the RAC inspection is only as good as the mech you get!

Here's the vid:

https://vimeo.com/517735265

Cheers! 

Edited by Paddy1000111

Sounds like its dropping back to idle fine to me, probably the shutting off of the egr valve after being at high revs and obviously at that point takes fuelling away cos your off the pedal, so just adjusting itself on air/fuelling back to idle. Sounds fine to me. Truth will be in the actual driving but you wont know that till you get your hands on it.

• Like 1

I am no expert but my landlord has a 67 plate transit flatbed with 9k showing now.  Bloody thing is too fast, if you ask me.  Even loaded up with timber it still pulls like a train: dangerous in the wrong hands I think but it is a lovely drive.

You've got 14 days to discover if there is anything amiss: I don't think you will find anything.  Truck looks v cool.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

It's from Vanbase so a reputable company. I thought it sounded fine but just wanted additional opinions!

I've got 14 days to return it and it comes with a 3 months warranty with the RAC who inspected it before coverage so I trust that they didn't miss stuff or it comes out their wallet. I got quoted £214 for a 12 month warranty after that with a £8000 per claim limit and a £17000 total claim limit so I think I will cover my arse and do that, saves stressing. A turbo, an injector or something could easily pay for the premium.

On a side note has anyone got any experience with blanking the EGRs on these (I know the legalities but still)? I've done it on my TD5, xtrail and my Volvo and never looked back after cleaning a thick sooty mess out the intake pre blank! 

My next job is to find someone who makes good priced tool boxes for the chassis and cut the tipper down to get it on!

• Like 1

Looks a tidy thing paddy! Biggest let down with fords imo is paint/bodywork, get it all pressure washed underneath best you can and get some protection on that undercarriage and body, should serve ya well.

• Like 2

Just now, Ratman said:

Looks a tidy thing paddy! Biggest let down with fords imo is paint/bodywork, get it all pressure washed underneath best you can and get some protection on that undercarriage and body, should serve ya well.

Thanks @Ratman I hope she's as good in person as she looks online, if it's anything like my dating past she wont 😂.

In regards to rust I noticed that when I viewed one in London. I used to work in the motor trade until I was 18 and when I saw thick black shiny underseal in the drivers door of a 2016 my heart sank. I stuck a plastic biro through the footwell! This one looks absolutely spotless so I have at least a glancing hope that it's relatively rust free! 

I was going to order up some dinitrol rust converter and their chassis spray. After replacing the rear crossmember on the TD5 I am well versed in getting high as a kite on thinners! 😂

• Like 1

It's from Vanbase so a reputable company. I thought it sounded fine but just wanted additional opinions!

I've got 14 days to return it and it comes with a 3 months warranty with the RAC who inspected it before coverage so I trust that they didn't miss stuff or it comes out their wallet. I got quoted £214 for a 12 month warranty after that with a £8000 per claim limit and a £17000 total claim limit so I think I will cover my arse and do that, saves stressing. A turbo, an injector or something could easily pay for the premium.

On a side note has anyone got any experience with blanking the EGRs on these (I know the legalities but still)? I've done it on my TD5, xtrail and my Volvo and never looked back after cleaning a thick sooty mess out the intake pre blank! 

My next job is to find someone who makes good priced tool boxes for the chassis and cut the tipper down to get it on!

I’d leave it alone, regular oil changes and i mean regular, like 6k - 8k max, keep those engine internals clean and let it breath. Oil and a filter is a cheap peace of mind scenario. Look after it and it will look after you.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ratman said:

I’d leave it alone, regular oil changes and i mean regular, like 6k - 8k max, keep those engine internals clean and let it breath. Oil and a filter is a cheap peace of mind scenario. Look after it and it will look after you.

That's the only thing that puts me off this van. There's no service history until 45,000 as it was a hire/lease vehicle and none of them come with service history. Same with any of the ex council vans. When I was doing a contract for them I got the use of their vans. They were absolutely anal about maintenance daily/weekly checks etc and wouldn't let it be on the road near it's service due date but they never had their books stamped. I might pop a boroscope down a few engine ports during the inspection and have a look at internals.