IDIOTS GUIDE ! - MS261 Oil Pump replacement

Mike F

Morning all,

just wondered if anyone might be able to point me to an MS261 specific "idiot proof" guide of some description for changing the oil pump....... i've trawled the archives, and looked on You Tube....

The saw is getting oil to the bar....just.....I think it might be the worm gear....and i'll change that....will clean the tank etc....but if I have to switch the oil pump over I was looking for a specific guide for the MS261 (plenty of generic ones that I know I'll f*ck it up somehow if I follow it)

muchas gracias

I sent you a message, with the 261 manual, it’s really the same as all the other manuals. But I guess if you’ve not done it before..I . just use a bit of old starter cord in the spark plug hole to lock the engine and take the clutch off.

one other thing are you sure the adjustable flow is turned up to the max on the pump ?

I will say All 261 , have an adjustable oil pump. Look on the underside.

and read your owners manual, if you haven’t got one the you could download one from stihl.

Page 41 ....here 

https://m.stihlusa.com/webcontent/cmsfilelibrary/instructionmanuals/stihl-ms-261-c-m-owners-instruction-manual.pdf

I'm starting to wonder. If ...... you have ever read a stihl manual and know all pro saws have adjustable oilers. 🤦‍♂️

A901506A-0680-4CA0-A827-2AC51E75F373.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Put some neat petrol in your oil tank.
Run for a minute or two.
Might remove some blockages or gumming.
emoji106.png

Or it might set fire to your saw, it's a win win either way. The saw works or you need to get a new one 😄

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wonky said:

I will say All 261 , have an adjustable oil pump. Look on the underside.

and read your owners manual, if you haven’t got one the you could download one from stihl.

Page 41 ....here 

https://m.stihlusa.com/webcontent/cmsfilelibrary/instructionmanuals/stihl-ms-261-c-m-owners-instruction-manual.pdf

I'm starting to wonder. If ...... you have ever read a stihl manual and know all pro saws have adjustable oilers. 🤦‍♂️

A901506A-0680-4CA0-A827-2AC51E75F373.jpeg

Man do I feel like a prize plonker .....

to be fair I did read the manual straight away......and I've seen that oil symbol in a book before this....

because I couldn't find it i assumed it was some bullish*t about oil quantity only being on american spec 261's or something, and dismissed it......

Stihl have been a bit "Hayne's Manual-esq"....show a picture of a screw and say "you must tighten this"....without showing WHERE the f*ck the screw is located.......

i had another look under...i usually keep the saws pretty clean with an airline......but i don't blow the crud that's buried inside the underside if you know what i mean......so i did find a screw after clearing....

no symbols or anything like that in the manual....turned all the way clockwise....seems oil is on the bar.

thanks for your posts and playing along ..... i should have know better to be fair 

i shall go shame-faced now and sharpen my lovely oily chain

peace out

• Like 2
  • Haha 1