Sub 750 diesel chippers

benedmonds

20 hours ago, Darkslider said:

Disclaimer: I don't know the first thing about the chippers or engines in question.

However I'd imagine the dealers and manufacturers who detuned the machines in the first place are the last people you'd want to consult about reversing the procedure, you want an independent who can give you unbiased advice not someone who stands to profit if you can be convinced to pay the extra for a higher powered model with the same powertrain. This has been going on with cars for some time, VAG vehicles in particular having differing power figures between lower specs and GTI/VRS/S-line models despite in some cases having broadly the same hardware. You'd never get a main dealer salesman to admit that though, you need to go to the independent tuners for the real story.

Spot on. Dealers are all told and programmed to tell us it's not that simple.

So , look at a 25hp timberwolf with a v1505 engine, then look at the standard 35hp. If you can see a difference in any pulley size, belts or the like, then I will be amazed

53 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

We could talk for ages about how cheaply manufactured items are difficult to repair, anyone who has taked a cheap chinese chainsaw to bits will vouch for that.

I actually was not considering a modified or tweaked machine, just a standard machine from a few years back simply refurbished to an as new state. As it wouldn't meet modern emissions or noise standards  it would not be allowed on site, and yes there are people employed to vet machines on big civils jobs in just the same way they check lifting equipment.

How would they measure a woodchipper's out put?

Remove the Engine and run it on a dyno?

I but those Kubota Engines are restricted at the injection pump,might be as simple as restricting the travel on the fuel rack or turning up the fuel delivery?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

How would they measure a woodchipper's out put?

They don't need to in the case of an older piece of plant, they can check the engine is in Euro 5 and below and just ban it if below.

If you mean how would they check  a compliant engine that is then de restricted I don't know but most ISO 9000 and 14000 companies tendering for such works would probably not allow their machines to be modified. Anyway as someone has said if you restrict the engine by moving the output to a lower rev range  you will need to change the gearing to get the flywheel back up to speed.

Why would you want to mess around with a stage V engine when the whole point of it is to protect future generations and the health problems that people will suffer with. 

To be honest I can't see how running a timberwolf 230 at 25hp rather then 35hp will make any real difference day to day. Yes the anti-stress might kick in more offen but it's not going to add additional hours onto jobs, or the lads phoning at 16.00 to say the job will not get done because the chipper is too slow. 

If you like timberwolf and have a good dealer back up just go with what you know. 

• Like 3

On 02/03/2021 at 12:17, treevolution said:

You only have three options for a sub 750kg diesel chipper which are, 

Timberwolf 230

Greenmech quad chip 160

Greenmech 150.

All will be around 25hp. 

If you already got a timber wolf then get a demo on a new one and just run side to side to see how much difference there is. 

Unfortunately the only way to get more options for a sub 750 kg chipper is to look at the petrol ones, which should also be cheaper. 

+ TP 175 ??