Sub 750 diesel chippers

benedmonds

15 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

If the engine can be de-tuned then great.

This engine was a genuine 26hp though.

After speaking with several tw dealers, the detuning is not as simple as some suggest. As Pete from greenmech mentioned there is a bigger pulley, different software and anti tamperware seals that if broken will void warrantee. One suggested it would cost £1,500 in parts..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

After speaking with several tw dealers, the detuning is not as simple as some suggest. As Pete from greenmech mentioned there is a bigger pulley, different software and anti tamperware seals that if broken will void warrantee. One suggested it would cost £1,500 in parts..

Disclaimer: I don't know the first thing about the chippers or engines in question.

However I'd imagine the dealers and manufacturers who detuned the machines in the first place are the last people you'd want to consult about reversing the procedure, you want an independent who can give you unbiased advice not someone who stands to profit if you can be convinced to pay the extra for a higher powered model with the same powertrain. This has been going on with cars for some time, VAG vehicles in particular having differing power figures between lower specs and GTI/VRS/S-line models despite in some cases having broadly the same hardware. You'd never get a main dealer salesman to admit that though, you need to go to the independent tuners for the real story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darkslider said:

Disclaimer: I don't know the first thing about the chippers or engines in question.

However I'd imagine the dealers and manufacturers who detuned the machines in the first place are the last people you'd want to consult about reversing the procedure, you want an independent who can give you unbiased advice not someone who stands to profit if you can be convinced to pay the extra for a higher powered model with the same powertrain. This has been going on with cars for some time, VAG vehicles in particular having differing power figures between lower specs and GTI/VRS/S-line models despite in some cases having broadly the same hardware. You'd never get a main dealer salesman to admit that though, you need to go to the independent tuners for the id

I did start to reply but......

• Haha 1

As consumers I don't think it's down to us to have to retune an engine to get a chipper to work the way it did before. 

Forst have been able to adapt their 6 inch chipper to work as well with a 25hp engine as it did with a 35hp.

Greenmech brought out a whole new chipper so that they can run it with a 25hp engine. 

Timberwolf have done nothing apart from changing over from diesel to petrol in all but in the new 230 diesel. 

I can't see why anyone would spend money on trying to improve a chipper when there are better options out there. 

It really comes down to if you want a 6 inch diesel chipper that works as well as it did before stage, you will have to get a towing licence. 

• Like 1

A firm I work for has a tracked 230 diesel with the old more powerful engine, this went in for service and we were loaned a 230 with the newer engine. There is definitely a difference in the two of them, the anti stress appears to kick in much quicker and the infeed seemed less aggressive. It’s all about change and adapting, when the 200t was phased out everybody moaned about the 201t but now we’ve just got used to them and my newish ported 201t isn’t a million miles away from my old stock 200t. There’s a big choice in the sub 750kg market but unfortunately a lot of them appear to be petrol, for what it’s worth the slightly older engine 230 would get my vote if you can find a decent one that hasn’t been abused (too much)

2 hours ago, JaySmith said:

the slightly older engine 230 would get my vote if you can find a decent one that hasn’t been abused (too much)

I agree and would do any fettling myself as I enjoy resurrecting broken things. This is why I support the right to repair agenda. Interestingly there was an article about how repairing things has become  more difficult as manufacturers strive to compete and use cheaper parts and methods of construction.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Sweden is trying to encourage consumers to repair household items like washing machines.

One would have to be aware that on a lot of civils jobs the  contracts will exclude use of older machines as part of their ISO 14000 requirements.

I agree and would do any fettling myself as I enjoy resurrecting broken things. This is why I support the right to repair agenda. Interestingly there was an article about how repairing things has become  more difficult as manufacturers strive to compete and use cheaper parts and methods of construction.

_117308096_gettyimages-1230838796.jpg WWW.BBC.CO.UK
Sweden is trying to encourage consumers to repair household items like washing machines.  

One would have to be aware that on a lot of civils jobs the  contracts will exclude use of older machines as part of their ISO 14000 requirements.

If you are handy like that then that could be the way forward, only issue I would be concerned with would be the warranty if there was one still valid. We do live in such a throw away society where I’m sure that soo many things go to landfill could be fairly easily fixed and brought back into service and as a generation we are loosing that ability to mend and fix things (myself included).

Agree that on some big contract jobs like Crossrail, HS2 etc compliance would need to be taken into account with regards to tampering with machinery but can’t see how they would enforce it. On some sites they don’t even know what your ‘shredder’ is let alone if it had been tweaked! With things like the LEZ trucks have to comply because of the ANPR cameras picking up the reg of the truck but much harder to enforce on a chipper/trailer.

4 minutes ago, JaySmith said:

If you are handy like that then that could be the way forward, only issue I would be concerned with would be the warranty if there was one still valid. We do live in such a throw away society where I’m sure that soo many things go to landfill could be fairly easily fixed and brought back into service and as a generation we are loosing that ability to mend and fix things (myself included).

We could talk for ages about how cheaply manufactured items are difficult to repair, anyone who has taked a cheap chinese chainsaw to bits will vouch for that.

4 minutes ago, JaySmith said:

Agree that on some big contract jobs like Crossrail, HS2 etc compliance would need to be taken into account with regards to tampering with machinery but can’t see how they would enforce it. On some sites they don’t even know what your ‘shredder’ is let alone if it had been tweaked! With things like the LEZ trucks have to comply because of the ANPR cameras picking up the reg of the truck but much harder to enforce on a chipper/trailer.

I actually was not considering a modified or tweaked machine, just a standard machine from a few years back simply refurbished to an as new state. As it wouldn't meet modern emissions or noise standards  it would not be allowed on site, and yes there are people employed to vet machines on big civils jobs in just the same way they check lifting equipment.

• Like 1