Efco saw poor running

Decro

Hi All, firstly thanks for an excellent informative forum

My "toy" Efco saw is six months old and has seen little use. Been run on Aspen from new but has always had running problems. I can get the saw to start and rev fine from cold but as soon as it's hot and done a few cuts it will not idle and will not restart. If I try adjusting the carb I can cure the hot idle and start but then no start from cold. It also seems to regularly require minor carb adjustments and I found today that the best hot idle setting is with the low screw screwed fully in although it will not, unsurprisingly, rev without bogging down. The Efco dealer says any carb adjustments are chargeable and he seems unwilling to consider anything else. 

I would appreciate any comments,suggestions.

Thanks

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Decro said:

The Efco dealer says any carb adjustments are chargeable and he seems unwilling to consider anything else. 

I would appreciate any comments,suggestions.

Thanks

He is a miserable old scrote .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it's 6 months old and has 'always' had running problems reset the carb to factory settings and put in a warranty claim as there's obviously something amiss with the saw. Efco are cheap saws but I wouldn't include them in the disposable chinesium category, I'd still expect to get a few years domestic use out of one before running into problems for what they cost.

• Like 1

Efco were good saws, think you may have a 'friday afternooner' build. K.....

Try a new spark plug in it, as could be breaking down at temperature, 3 quid rules it out. 

Edited by Khriss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Efco were good saws, think you may have a 'friday afternooner' build. K.....

Try a new spark plug in it, as could be breaking down at temperature, 3 quid rules it out. 

Are spark plugs £3 now Khriss ?  I'm sure they used to be  three shillings and six pence ...

Thanks very much for the replies.

I have tried another spark plug without improvement and have now emailed the dealer stating I do not feel obliged to agree to paying for adjustment before he's even looked at the saw. I will be surprisd if he bothers to reply and if not intend to persue the matter with Emak UK who I understand have their own service department.

In the meantime I shall carry on with the borrowed Makita which is faultless - touch wood!

• Like 1

Pleasant surprise this morning.

Dealer phoned in response to my email sent yesterday. They have spoken to Efco who are sending a replacement saw due to original and on-going problems. Both the dealer and Efco suspect the problems are due to using Aspen and recommend using fresh pump fuel mix with fuel stabiliser. 

I must have just been unlucky with the unhelpful guy at the dealers previously because I can't fault their response this time so all credit to Cheltenham Mowers and the Efco UK.

Thanks again for all the replies.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2021 at 14:46, Decro said:

Pleasant surprise this morning.

Dealer phoned in response to my email sent yesterday. They have spoken to Efco who are sending a replacement saw due to original and on-going problems. Both the dealer and Efco suspect the problems are due to using Aspen and recommend using fresh pump fuel mix with fuel stabiliser. 

I must have just been unlucky with the unhelpful guy at the dealers previously because I can't fault their response this time so all credit to Cheltenham Mowers and the Efco UK.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Blaming Aspen for the running problems whilst replacing the machine as faulty seems strange to me. Aspens performance characteristics really aren't so different to normal fuel in regards to how the fuel performs inside the machine (especially if its never been used on normal pump fuel). Would be great to hear how the new saw runs if you get a chance to try it on Aspen.

• Like 1