Iight saw for orchard work

Pinkfoot

Well, how long does it take to make a cut like that? 10 seconds max? Do you stop for lunch and a battery swap? I don't do apple pruning on a commercial basis, last year I probably only did about 30-40? I didn't use a chainsaw for more than 10 minutes for all of them put together so I would be quite surprised if you did 40 minutes of finger on trigger cutting before lunch but like I said, I don't do commercial so I have 0 idea how you prune! 😂

Outside of that it's a 201c-m if you want petrol!

I concur. They're the only chainsaws from a general building tool maker that are actually a chainsaw (as opposed to a tool that looks like a chainsaw and broadly works like a chainsaw but is nevertheless not a proper chainsaw).
Ah, they're the only general building tool maker that bought a proper chainsaw company up too (Dolmar) so it kind of makes sense. I have Makita battery toppers, I'm a fan too.

I'd go with the 18v Makita if the stems are wrist thickness, it is so light, think they do a rear handled version which will be better for control. Or the battery Echo is excellent apparently but more money.

15 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Well, how long does it take to make a cut like that? 10 seconds max? Do you stop for lunch and a battery swap? I don't do apple pruning on a commercial basis, last year I probably only did about 30-40? I didn't use a chainsaw for more than 10 minutes for all of them put together so I would be quite surprised if you did 40 minutes of finger on trigger cutting before lunch but like I said, I don't do commercial so I have 0 idea how you prune! 😂

Outside of that it's a 201c-m if you want petrol!

What time is lunch?

We're on docky,09.45 ,dinner,12.30 ,tea after 4 pm.

I will be cutting all day and grafting once they are all prepped.😁

35 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

That is a very brave move isn't it?

I thought even proven red sports are prone to reversion.

It's an Italian clone I think "Schniko Red " I think it's called.

They can get too red for the supermarkets,!

It's still a risk though ,supermarkets may change their minds

• Like 1

I have some giant loppers  but the trees might too  big diameter fot them

WWW.LAKEWOODPRODUCTS.CO.NZ

Pro-Pruner loppers, tools designed for forestry pruning large branched trees up to 65 mm. Loppers are complimented by a...

p100-pro-pruner-loppersforestrytreepruninglopperst.jpg?i=-dJETfKBd23LP3qyJpBn2vh5OO5Kjwy0beUvZX964WBDGluY7dwuKimPIOErDovShGGOi5O77aUJIZ0clWzeURZfv0xls8_n0x7E5yUh_9n-KcAvtZFC92gpb-AABcG7cYINA1dBPEZ4FR11I6ziUK06Jd6fu_u9ZMtPVEsRCQue4F0EGNElQpM6uQGzkjfQcwstCZK64XDnS6Qg5RawZ65NUlNPA0rQDXGMX8IfadNml4BayuHw1ySsoIl44_EQAk6dS8sTK6ghXI09vi00sQ~~

But they do cut pretty big stuff compared to other loppers but probably only about 45mm comfortably.

Agree about using a 1/4 chain  for a finer finnish.

Edited by Stere

I have an Echo 281 WES as a coppicing saw, though I keep it on the forwarder now to cut bits and bobs that get in my way, or sned off missed branches. 

It's a really lovely little saw and has cross cut 12 inch oak when required (though obviously a larger saw would be better). 

It was ideal for the job I bought it for, which was copparding (coppicing at 4ft) willow. I didn't cut anything much over 5-6 inches, and it ripped through. I don't think I'd have been faster with a larger saw - it took me 6 hours to coppard a couple hundred stools, 6 hours to forward them out with the Logbullet forwarder in tree length (about 25ft) and we filled 43 builders bags with branch loggings. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stere said:

I have some giant loppers  but the trees might too  big diameter fot them

WWW.LAKEWOODPRODUCTS.CO.NZ

Pro-Pruner loppers, tools designed for forestry pruning large branched trees up to 65 mm. Loppers are complimented by a...

p100-pro-pruner-loppersforestrytreepruninglopperst.jpg?i=-dJETfKBd23LP3qyJpBn2vh5OO5Kjwy0beUvZX964WBDGluY7dwuKimPIOErDovShGGOi5O77aUJIZ0clWzeURZfv0xls8_n0x7E5yUh_9n-KcAvtZFC92gpb-AABcG7cYINA1dBPEZ4FR11I6ziUK06Jd6fu_u9ZMtPVEsRCQue4F0EGNElQpM6uQGzkjfQcwstCZK64XDnS6Qg5RawZ65NUlNPA0rQDXGMX8IfadNml4BayuHw1ySsoIl44_EQAk6dS8sTK6ghXI09vi00sQ~~

But they do cut pretty big stuff compared to other loppers but probably only about 45mm comfortably.

Agree about using a 1/4 chain  for a finer finnish.

Thank you for the offer .

Loppers are a bit brutal in this application,the anvil crushes one side of the stem and bruises it so a saw is the best solution