Iight saw for orchard work

Pinkfoot

9 minutes ago, AHPP said:

And consider Makita equivalents if you already have batteries but you’d probably want to consider moving anything over to 1/4” picco. How fine do the cuts need to be? Curious about the whole process to be honest. Would be delighted if you did a thread on it and other fruit production matters.

Thought about filming it as I have a action camera ,just need to sort the app out for it.

Those trees are Gala and the owner is changing them to a very red gala .

We did 10,000 two years ago and only a few thousand last year due to administration problems.

20 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

If you don't want the cost of a new battery set up (ie charger and batteries x 2 or 3), then have a look at the small Echos.  The top handle police might have something to say about their ground use of course.  If you can afford a battery set up then the Husky battery saws are great - they will easily cope with what you want and even larger. Ditto re the top handle versions...

Could just get the rear handle 2511

7 minutes ago, Pinkfoot said:

We did 10,000 two years ago and only a few thousand last year due to administration problems.

Sounds interesting, I'd also love to see a dedicated thread about your orchard work. It's something I'm hoping to get involved with in the future. 

22 minutes ago, slack ma girdle said:

The makita saws are very good

I concur. They're the only chainsaws from a general building tool maker that are actually a chainsaw (as opposed to a tool that looks like a chainsaw and broadly works like a chainsaw but is nevertheless not a proper chainsaw).

Edited by AHPP

1 minute ago, peds said:

Sounds interesting, I'd also love to see a dedicated thread about your orchard work. It's something I'm hoping to get involved with in the future. 

I work on a tree nursery.

This is extra curricular activity for me.

But I will try to do something.

I was at the orchard this morning cutting graft wood under moonlight at 5.20

38 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

That's what I thought! A 200 seems to be massively overpowered for a wrist thickness limb. 1/4 chain should make a cleaner cut too 

Battery life is only 40 minutes max. and charge time is fairly lengthy. 

Even with two batteries I am not sure that I will get many done in a day.

What do you think? 

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

And consider Makita equivalents if you already have batteries but you’d probably want to consider moving anything over to 1/4” picco. How fine do the cuts need to be? Curious about the whole process to be honest. Would be delighted if you did a thread on it and other fruit production matters.

Thought about filming it as I have a action camera ,just need to sort the app out for it.