Is non determination of a section 211 a legal way of dismissing it?

Paul73

If I am right Jon, that table is based on mid diameter, so I would need to fell an average looking one to measure mid diamter or climb up it.

If I am right they don't count branch wood in the timber calculations, so you need to get to the top of the clear stem height when calculating height.

Probably I need more data! the forest mensutation book has a chart that needs stand basal per hectare area for Poplar (unless I have looked at it wrong). 

I used to value a lot of standing timber for fixed price standing sales.  The method used was working in guessed multiples of 6 foot ( pre decimal) by eye. The taper is reasonably easy to calculate on a uniform tree, so it is then possible to rough calculate the mid quarter girth or circumference., then cube the measures up for volume.

On 05/03/2021 at 14:53, Paul73 said:

If I am right Jon, that table is based on mid diameter, so I would need to fell an average looking one to measure mid diamter or climb up it.

If I am right they don't count branch wood in the timber calculations, so you need to get to the top of the clear stem height when calculating height.

Probably I need more data! the forest mensutation book has a chart that needs stand basal per hectare area for Poplar (unless I have looked at it wrong). 

You are right that the table is based on mid length diameter & therefore is really only appropriate for a log that is on the ground but it will give you a rough idea of volume. 

OP mention it was next to the road, the highways have the biggest felling licence ever issued and covers  well beyond the verge, by 100m in some cases

have a listen to JFL

WWW.BUZZSPROUT.COM

Director and Principal Consultant of Forbes‐ Laird  Arboricultural  Consultancy  Ltd  (FLAC),  a  small  but ...

1 hour ago, Craig Johnson said:

OP mention it was next to the road, the highways have the biggest felling licence ever issued and covers  well beyond the verge, by 100m in some cases

have a listen to JFL

WWW.BUZZSPROUT.COM

Director and Principal Consultant of Forbes‐ Laird  Arboricultural  Consultancy  Ltd  (FLAC),  a  small  but ...

Oh dear! What a big mouth! Especially when he is wrong! I have his report that he mentions & it may come back to haunt him.....& suddenly after a few days in the "jungle" he has become an expert on Sumatra. I wonder if Mr F-L could tell us how many felling licences he has successfully applied before he came across this one? He might discover an awful similarity in wording between the one he quotes from & criticises & the one the "little guy" gets given. Don't mention the TPO to the FC & the FL doesn't cover exemption from the TPO. That's why it says it across the front page of the licence! Nothing special there.

I wonder how many words of Indonesian he knows? How much he knows about Indonesian forest policy? Well I first went to Sumatra in 1979 & worked in the Ministry of Forestry in Jakarta (Manggala Wanabakti) on and off between 1994 and 2010 or so (I need to check my cv for the precise details). Who was my main client....the European Commission. Does EU policy lead to unintended consequences? I'm sure it does but really the EU has become a bit of side issue in Indonesia. Japanese demand for plywood was a much more significant force in logging Indonesian forests starting in the 1960s, through the 1970s, 1980s & 1990s, taken over by the much greater demand by China for everything from 2000 or so. Oil palm does of course get into many products & demand for oil palm underpins the desire to turn degraded forest into oil palm plantations......but most of lowland Sumatra had been logged by the time Yves Laumonier wrote his book "The Vegetation and Physiography of Sumatra" in 1997. It was then logged & logged again corruptly and illegally and only then, assisted by the likes of APP (Asia Pulp & Paper - look it up!) remaining forest land was cleared with the logs disappearing into pulp and cheap photocopy paper that YOU may have unwittingly bought. Oil palm conversion really is at the end of the long process of converting high quality "orang hutan" habitat ; clearly orang hutan have retreated into whatever habitat is left for them, mostly highly degraded forest.

I suggest you look up Harapan on the RSPB website ......it's a good example of what can be done with rainforest adjacent to the oil palm plantations. The oil palm provides jobs & economic development taking the pressure OFF the forest.

• Like 2