Price of (at roadside) firewood grade timber as mentioned in Farmers Weekly yesterday

cessna

14 hours ago, openspaceman said:

The chap I pulled 50m3 of alder out for in mid Hants doesn’t appear to be getting much interest.

As a private user I'd love that. Shame transport is so expensive, that and the fact you'll not get a suitable lorry down my lane.

But it does lead me to another question. Does anyone supply logs for outdoor firepits, chimineas etc? I would have said alder would be ideal for them.

13 hours ago, cessna said:

Many thanks for all your recent replies as they are all useful information as to how much wood is costing at roadside.

With some furloughed last autumn/winter prices may be a bit inflated due to supply and demand, therefore it might be worth reviewing pricing once things settle down and get back to some sort or normality.

21 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Define decent.

The chap I pulled 50m3 of alder out for in mid Hants doesn’t appear to be getting much interest.

If he can arrange haulage to South Wales I would pay a decent price for two loads of Alder and I would mill it.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I'll put that to him. TDUB?

Ah well if TDUB is top diameter under bark then I would say approx 200mm as a minimum.  I would also need to know what lengths the logs are and see a pic or two to assess quality.  I do not expect perfection, but I need to see I am not buying rubbish either!

15 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes that's right, sorry I thought @Squaredy would be familiar with the term.

I mainly buy hardwoods so rarely come across this term, and when I do it is not abbreviated.  As a general rule I am offered a parcel of sawlogs, and usually then I get a log list giving measurements of every log. Just occasionally I buy hardwood logs by weight and as long as they are sawlog size I am not too fussy about top diameter.  Length is more important to me - ideally multiples of eight foot or 2.5 metres saves me waste and handling.  And of course quality - no-one likes knotty or shaky logs for milling.

• Like 1