Price of (at roadside) firewood grade timber as mentioned in Farmers Weekly yesterday

cessna

In this weeks farmers weekly page 24, Marc Liebrecht  (arboriculturist and forestry manager, for Carter Jonas, has mentioned that value  of firewood grade timber  is £35-£45 /t.    I would very much like to know how much the value of timber as mentioned above is varying around the UK,as  more  Ash comes  to the market due to die back.   BUT I assumed that the price was holding up due to demand from the large biomass wood chip markets?????

@renewablejohn kindly replied to my thread on the subject ,which I have also put on THE FARMING FORUM .

That seems very very cheap to me, we where getting £57,50 per tonne in 2019, the current market i believe is very good with chip/firewood grade softwood being about £70 tonne R/S and sawlogs now above £100 a tonne R/S, this is in the northwest UK other areas may be cheaper but if i could buy it at £35-£45 tonne i would be very happy at that, Up here they seems to be a dramatic shortage of Firewood available as the big boys like Jenkinsons and Stobarts seem to be swallowing it all up, I know one lad who has just bought a couple of load of softwood and its cost him £93,25 delivered to his yard and the haulage would be 45-50 mile so not a long way but it was dear enough.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, cessna said:

Any updates on the above thread  as regards prices ? 

Price range probably £50-65/t at roadside ex vat on the whole with an average price say around £57 depending on quality, species and if part seasoned or fresh felled.  The prices quoted in Famers Weekly seem a bit off the mark at £35-£45/t at roadside unless not taking into account the standing value. The harvesting cost maybe >£30/t, then the the grower/landowner might want say £20/t if decent stuff (species in demand, reasonably straight, no over-sized or too small in diameter) which would put a price on it >£50/t. Some low grade firewood maybe worth only £35-45/t but anything decent must be worth >£50/t.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Define decent.

The chap I pulled 50m3 of alder out for in mid Hants doesn’t appear to be getting much interest.

Subjective I know but generally I would say for "decent' stuff we are talking about first-quality species of firewood such as ash, beech, birch, hornbeam, sycamore etc, reasonably straight and with dia around 20-40cm but depends on method of processing. Alder burns fine, dries relatively quickly but is generally regraded as a third rate firewood by many like lime, pine spruce etc. If sold as part of a parcel with first rate firewood it might be easier to move on. I think its a bit under rated though as firewood however customers do complain if too much in a load saying it burns too quickly but is generally okay to sell on in a hardwood mix if not too much of it. It takes the same amount of time to haul, process and deliver low grade firewood as it does first rate firewood so you won't want to pay the same for low grade firewood. If putting a value on it I would say tops 2/3 the price of what someone might be prepared to pay for "decent" stuff.

Edited by Vedhoggar
  • Thanks 1