E10 petrol coming in the summer,,,

Andrew L

11 hours ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

America has been running with 10% and I have never heard of any problems. I think they are going up to 15% soon?

America has been running with 10% and I have heard of endless problems . Just google engine problems with ethanol .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AHPP said:

Does anyone know what effect ethanol content has on petrol’s susceptibility to detonation? Will high ish compression engines run on regular start knocking soon?

Ethanol has a higher octane than pump petrol so I wouldn't expect it to change that, in fact I always thought it was the component with the lowest ocane rating that dictated the octane rating of the mixture. It has quite a few less calories per kg than petrol and I would expect less per litre too.

• Like 1

Apart from the storage issues most people are already aware off, the biggest difference in regards to performance will be that non auto adjusting (fuel mixture) machinery will run lean on E10 unless they are adjusted to suit E10 fuel which has a higher oxygen level than E5. Running lean will decrease machinery life especially on 2-stroke equipment.

With the above in mind, once E10 is introduced at the forecourts I would recommend using super unleaded if you cant justify switching to Alkylate fuel for your business. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, woodwoozles said:
On 28/02/2021 at 07:50, Stubby said:
America has been running with 10% and I have heard of endless problems . Just google engine problems with ethanol .

But that's a loaded question ?

It was not a question . ( No question mark ) It was a statement .

• Thanks 1

One thing to be wary of is that in dry, anhydrous conditions, and hot environments, ethanol can react with both aluminium and magnesium, aluminium being the bulk component of most chainsaw cylinders, and/or pistons, the Stihl MS400 C-M has a magnesium alloy piston.

Considering fresh E5, or E10, is dry, water free, and if a saw by it's nature, gets hot whilst running, the remaining fuel under the piston will have opportunity to react with both the lower sections of the piston and cylinder, and will evaporate into the upper chamber when the saw stops running, subsequently working it's way around the sides of the piston and into the piston ring grooves. Yes, a lot are Nikasil coated, however, all it takes is a worn surface, or not plated exposed area to come into contact for the corrosion to start.

It leaves a white powdery residue on the surface, also making the aluminium surface rough and porous...
Additionally, as others have said, it sucks moisture out of the air like a vacuum, and we all know what water in a cylinder will do. Whilst it won't form aluminium or magnesium ethoxide, the reaction product of ethanol and either metal, in wet environments, it will leave a residue of the metal oxide or hydroxide.

Just my 2p, just resurrected my MS460(W) 54mm , doesn't get used heavily, and had been left for a while, but only putting Aspen4 mixed with Husqvarna XP 2 stroke oil in it from now on, I can justify the cost because of the limited/irregular use.

Esso offer a "potentially" E0 fuel, Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99, which whilst they claim it to be ethanol free, it has to be labelled E5 because of government regulations saying fuels must be labelled in accordance with containing "up to" 5% ethanol, not that they contain a total of 5%:

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.

• Like 1

It was not a question . ( No question mark ) It was a statement .

It certainly seemed to be framed as a question and when you Google search a loaded (framed) search you’ll find a plethora of confirmation bias backing searches. Going by your reasoning if I search for ‘fake moon landing’ it must be true as I’ll have loads of hits. :)

22 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

It certainly seemed to be framed as a question and when you Google search a loaded (framed) search you’ll find a plethora of confirmation bias backing searches. Going by your reasoning if I search for ‘fake moon landing’ it must be true as I’ll have loads of hits. :)

I don't think the Apollo missions ran on petrol 🙄 

• Like 1