Business expansion.

Benarb

2 hours ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

Enough. I was stunned by the simple eloquence of that word---stunned for 2 reasons: first, because I have been given so much in my own life and, second because Joe Heller couldn't have been more accurate.

For a critical element of our society, including many of the wealthiest and most powerful among us, there seems to be no limit today on what enough entails.

Excellent anecdote, and great reaction. I'm in complete agreement with your syopsis... It's like the story of the old man who lived in a piss pot. He caught a magic fish who offered him a wish if he'd set it free. So he wished for a small cottage. His wife reckoned he could h dreamed bigger, and told him to go catch the fish again and wish for a bigger house, which he did. After a while, they felt they should have wished for a mansion, so he caught the fish again and so it escalated etc etc. Finally, when he got board of being the Pope, he wished to become God, and that broke the bank, so to speak, and they were back to living in a piss pot...

7 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Excellent anecdote, and great reaction. I'm in complete agreement with your syopsis... It's like the story of the old man who lived in a piss pot. He caught a magic fish who offered him a wish if he'd set it free. So he wished for a small cottage. His wife reckoned he could h dreamed bigger, and told him to go catch the fish again and wish for a bigger house, which he did. After a while, they felt they should have wished for a mansion, so he caught the fish again and so it escalated etc etc. Finally, when he got board of being the Pope, he wished to become God, and that broke the bank, so to speak, and they were back to living in a piss pot...

There was once a businessman who was sitting by the beach in a small Brazilian village.
As he sat, he saw a Brazilian fisherman rowing a small boat towards the shore having caught quite few big fish.
The businessman was impressed and asked the fisherman, “How long does it take you to catch so many fish?”
The fisherman replied, “Oh, just a short while.”
“Then why don’t you stay longer at sea and catch even more?” The businessman was astonished.
“This is enough to feed my whole family,” the fisherman said.
The businessman then asked, “So, what do you do for the rest of the day?”
The fisherman replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, go out to sea and catch a few fish, then go back and play with my kids. In the afternoon, I take a nap with my wife, and evening comes, I join my buddies in the village for a drink — we play guitar, sing and dance throughout the night.”

The businessman offered a suggestion to the fisherman.
“I am a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at sea and try to catch as many fish as possible. When you have saved enough money, you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fish. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more boats, set up your own company, your own production plant for canned food and distribution network. By then, you will have moved out of this village and to Sao Paulo, where you can set up HQ to manage your other branches.”

The fisherman continues, “And after that?”
The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”
The fisherman asks, “And after that?”
The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house by the fishing village, wake up early in the morning, catch a few fish, then return home to play with kids, have a nice afternoon nap with your wife, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play the guitar, sing and dance throughout the night!”
The fisherman was puzzled, “Isn’t that what I am doing now?”

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

The more businesses one runs then the less control one has. Hard to go bust with a 3 man team but the more you add the percentage rises. We see it all the time with companies and especially when they grow to fast.

At a party given by a billionaire on Shelter Island, Kurt Vonnegut informs his pal Joe Heller, that their host, a hedge fund manager, had made more money in a single day than Heller had earned from his wildly popular novel Catch-22 over its whole history. Heller responds, "Yes, but I have something he will never have..... enough."
Enough. I was stunned by the simple eloquence of that word---stunned for 2 reasons: first, because I have been given so much in my own life and, second because Joe Heller couldn't have been more accurate.
For a critical element of our society, including many of the wealthiest and most powerful among us, there seems to be no limit today on what enough entails.

I like it[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 5 shires said:

What ever mate...you crack on then and over complicate a simple problem...shouldn’t have wasted my time trying to help. 

I'm new here; do you throw your toys out of the pram every time someone disagrees with you? Just wondering if it's worth explaining what i posted in more detail, or if you are going to act like a child whatever I say? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Could you have a look at a different organisational structure?

For example five blokes,7.5 tonner with 9" chipper and a pickup.Everyone goes to the first job,when the end of that one is in sight,two guys go to the second job to make a start with you and the two blokes finnishing  off.At the end of the day,two guys go to the dump with the chip and you tow the pickup back to base with chipper and gear with the rest of the gang.

That way you have good oversight on the whole job,there is help on hand if needed and you dont have two different vehicles going to different directions.

• Like 1

I'm new here; do you throw your toys out of the pram every time someone disagrees with you? Just wondering if it's worth explaining what i posted in more detail, or if you are going to act like a child whatever I say? 

He well might but I won’t. It sounds like you’ve got something intelligent to say.
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, skyhuck said:

There was once a businessman who was sitting by the beach in a small Brazilian village.
As he sat, he saw a Brazilian fisherman rowing a small boat towards the shore having caught quite few big fish.
The businessman was impressed and asked the fisherman, “How long does it take you to catch so many fish?”
The fisherman replied, “Oh, just a short while.”
“Then why don’t you stay longer at sea and catch even more?” The businessman was astonished.
“This is enough to feed my whole family,” the fisherman said.
The businessman then asked, “So, what do you do for the rest of the day?”
The fisherman replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, go out to sea and catch a few fish, then go back and play with my kids. In the afternoon, I take a nap with my wife, and evening comes, I join my buddies in the village for a drink — we play guitar, sing and dance throughout the night.”

The businessman offered a suggestion to the fisherman.
“I am a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at sea and try to catch as many fish as possible. When you have saved enough money, you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fish. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more boats, set up your own company, your own production plant for canned food and distribution network. By then, you will have moved out of this village and to Sao Paulo, where you can set up HQ to manage your other branches.”

The fisherman continues, “And after that?”
The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”
The fisherman asks, “And after that?”
The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house by the fishing village, wake up early in the morning, catch a few fish, then return home to play with kids, have a nice afternoon nap with your wife, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play the guitar, sing and dance throughout the night!”
The fisherman was puzzled, “Isn’t that what I am doing now?”

Brilliant!  Like that!  A lot 😂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

Well don’t come on here and ask for advice and when given come back with sarcastic remarks..you’ll learn..not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1