Business expansion.

Benarb

The first question has to be, are you consistently averaging a very profitable daily figure for your current gang/set up. If you're averaging say £1k + VAT per day, can you increase that to £1.5k + VAT by losing more quotes and winning fewer but much more profitable jobs?

If the answer is 100% no, we simply cannot make more a day than what we currently do then I suppose the choice is, stress or more money! 

I thought £1.5k a day was the max, this year is to try and consistently hit £2k + VAT per day for a 3/4 man gang and then and only then will we consider expanding to another gang.

That extra £3-400 profit a day can go directly into your pocket, having another gang is unlikely to be as directly profitable without being a lot more effort/time consuming. 

Honestly this business/industry really doesn't feel like something that will ever make you very well off without being Gristwood and Toms size! We treat our tree company as a good way to generate profit say 10-15k a month which we then set aside for other ventures.

The stress to financial reward ratio in tree work really doesn't feel worth it IMO.

9 hours ago, Clutchy said:

The first question has to be, are you consistently averaging a very profitable daily figure for your current gang/set up. If you're averaging say £1k + VAT per day, can you increase that to £1.5k + VAT by losing more quotes and winning fewer but much more profitable jobs?

If the answer is 100% no, we simply cannot make more a day than what we currently do then I suppose the choice is, stress or more money! 

I thought £1.5k a day was the max, this year is to try and consistently hit £2k + VAT per day for a 3/4 man gang and then and only then will we consider expanding to another gang.

That extra £3-400 profit a day can go directly into your pocket, having another gang is unlikely to be as directly profitable without being a lot more effort/time consuming. 

Honestly this business/industry really doesn't feel like something that will ever make you very well off without being Gristwood and Toms size! We treat our tree company as a good way to generate profit say 10-15k a month which we then set aside for other ventures.

The stress to financial reward ratio in tree work really doesn't feel worth it IMO.

I’d imagine there are quite a few folks looking at your projections and scratching their head....

24 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

What needs clarifying? 

Actually i have seen those figures work. But then i have also worked for 3 big arb companies turning over their million each year that went bust. On average you will not be getting rich in the woods. K

• Like 1

It takes a better man than I to want all that extra stress and time commitments of running 2-4 gangs for what is realistically a fairly small personal pay rise.  

I am quite new to this (5 years in) so maybe with the right commercial work it is very profitable and fairly straightforward, but as yet it does not seem to be the case. 

• Like 1