Business expansion.

Benarb

2 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Like a comedy show and eggs has chucked in his two pence worth will get better. Scottish window cleaner and will have the full package. 🤣

Gets more like facebook everyday,arguing,name calling,proper comedy show🤣

• Haha 1

Personally, before you expand your business, you need to have a good look at yourself.

Are you good at organising
Are you good at man management
Are you good at dealing with difficult situations
And most importantly, are you good at dealing with stress

I'm a joiner, and used to be self employed, I used to think about expanding and employing people, but when i sat down and gave it serious thought, i realised that I wasn't a people person, yes i can deal with difficult situations, but i absolutely hate stress, so from that point onwards, it was a definite no no.
I currently work for the NHS as a maintenance joiner, and love it. If i ever left i would just go back to working for myself and enjoying a good work / life balance.
It's good to dream big, but you have to ask yourself, is it worth it ?

• Like 5

poss just try & invest in some machinery that can get you on ,mini diggers with grabs on & my grain trailer with crane on are my best 2, investment behind buying my yard ,iv done some big site jobs with just 2, men & a 2.5t digger 

every body differant what suites 1 doasant suite another , do your own thing 👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Johny Walker said:

poss just try & invest in some machinery that can get you on ,mini diggers with grabs on & my grain trailer with crane on are my best 2, investment behind buying my yard ,iv done some big site jobs with just 2, men & a 2.5t digger 

every body differant what suites 1 doasant suite another , do your own thing 👍

I agree with this but the majority of the work we're doing is domestic so the diggers wouldn't be effective and grain trailer a bit overkill. The avant tends to cover most of the jobs where we have access to the back garden even if its just bringing the brash/timber to the gate to shorten the drag, saves alot of time and back ache.

Think i'm best waiting a few months and investing in my boys and getting them competent in climbing/rigging then building from there with additional groundsman. In the mean time ill price the work i want and keep an eye out for a larger capacity chipper.

I've only been in the tree game just over a year and going at 100mph so will just hold tight a while and see what the repercussions of covid are before going any bigger and going balls deep with mog, merlo, bandit... Ha.

Appreciate all the feedback, defiantly food for thought! 

• Like 1

On 27/02/2021 at 06:56, Benarb said:

Currently the team we have is brilliant my brother and a school friend. Both 110% reliable, trustworthy and brilliant with customers. Ideal situation would be myself running 1 team and brother the other so i know that the standard of work is being kept high!

Be warned running a business with a business partner can be VERY challenging. Don't get me wrong there are many advantages, I have been in business with one for 17 years and it can work. But it can be very hard if you don't have the same goals, drive or work ethic and you both have to be able to let a lot go.  

• Like 3

On 01/03/2021 at 19:52, AHPP said:

Wayne, you knob. You have the brainpower of a Cornish pasty and the grace and class of haemorrhoids. He’s clearly an intelligent bloke and highly likely to add something useful to this topic but I imagine he’s far less likely to add anything at all if you’re just going to be a twat to him.

Funniest comment I've read in a while. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5 shires said:

Yes you did you****************ing  prick...you said all opinions welcome..so you need to read what you put...****************ing knobhead.

I think you might be getting two people muddled up mate

The OP said all opinions welcome

Retired climber is not the OP

Somewhat awkward 😬

• Like 2