Business expansion.

Benarb

You need to find a good team and have a chat..£1,200 seems way over dy rate for even a 3 man team which usually comprises of 1 Climber 2 Ground Staff 1 Chipper and may be 2 trucks but minimum 1 so even if your climber wanted £250 a day and the groundies £120 that’s only £490+say £300for Chipper and Trucks that’s £790 so round it up to say £800 at most so I would say depending on we’re you are you could find a decent 3 Man Team offer somewhere around £800/£900 per day and agree that price and put your quotation in at a price we’re you make what you need...so if you need a 3 Man Team Chipper/truck you should be putting them on on bigger jobs we’re you should be putting in a price we’re you should be making minimum £500...no doubt I will be ripped apart on here as to my priceing and % needed to make but obviously these rates will vary up and down the country.

That only pays wages.
  • Like 1

I'd upgrade the TW150, but keep it as a second chipper. Then try finding one more staff member, maybe subby and run two teams some days and see how it goes. Some days a team of four is great. If it's going well then add staff, you have the major equipment already.

I think in a way the question is one we can't answer, with bigger firm you have more logistics, equipment maintenance, extra paperwork, talking to more customers, etc etc.

This is either enjoyable and a welcome break for your aching body - or a load more hassle when you'd rather be in a tree.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'd upgrade the TW150, but keep it as a second chipper. Then try finding one more staff member, maybe subby and run two teams some days and see how it goes. Some days a team of four is great. If it's going well then add staff, you have the major equipment already.

I think in a way the question is one we can't answer, with bigger firm you have more logistics, equipment maintenance, extra paperwork, talking to more customers, etc etc.

This is either enjoyable and a welcome break for your aching body - or a load more hassle when you'd rather be in a tree.

I'd probably get another 150 in all honesty. Cheap to buy, easy to fix/service yourself, covers 90% of domestic work and can get most parts next day. Saves spending out on a more expensive new machine or having monthly payments.

But agree with running another subbie and being able to rest from climbing.

I think it all hinges on whether you can get the right people.  I've had some cracking fellas work for me (when you're there). Go and take some chip to tip off and nothing seems to get done 🤔

Be interesting to see how it goes. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Exactly.

There has to be profit on top.

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Exactly.

There has to be profit on top.

So your both saying that paying a groundies £120 a day and a climber £250 a day there is no profit in that that for either? Don’t know what you pay your climber and or ground staff? Around hear it’s around £80 a day for a keen young lad and a decent climber £200 so paying a groundie £120 a day makes it £40 on top and paying a climber £250 that’s £50 on top and your saying that’s not a decent wage? If you read my post I did mention that what you pay would very around the country.

And I stick by what I said £1,200 a day for a 3 Man Team Truck & Chipper is way over what should be paid.

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 1

I think you’re confused, I know I am.

There’s a difference between what you pay the guy and what the client is paying YOU for the guy. That’s the profit.

90 quid on top for two blokes is nothing, you’ll be losing money.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I think you’re confused, I know I am.

There’s a difference between what you pay the guy and what the client is paying YOU for the guy. That’s the profit.

Agree but again if you read my first post I did say agree a day rate for groundie and Climber which would be £120 & £250 respectively + Cost Of there’re equipment which I said would be around £900 total a day...and you would price the job so that you make your profit which you should be looking at £500...or even more depending on how big the job is...and you would only need the extra team on the bigger jobs were you can make your cut....it doesn’t take much to confuse me these days.

Edited by 5 shires