Business expansion.

Benarb

As per title thinking about putting another 2/3 man team together to keep up with work coming in and just wondered on peoples experiences with this.

We're currently a 3 man team and tend to run around 3-4 weeks ahead of ourselves and find people don't want to wait longer than this so we either lose the work or i just don't quote smaller jobs that i know we wont get round to or want to do, fruit trees, small hedging jobs, overhanging branches etc. I know all these jobs add up but we never seem to get a day/afternoon free to get through the little jobs that come in.

We do spend a fair bit on advertising to ensure the work is there and get enough enquiries to cover 2 teams, would just need to be more competitive on the pricing to win more of the work and not price what we want and over price what we don't.

So the question is, is it worth the hassle? finding decent staff that are reliable, polite and most importantly do a good job etc. Extra kit, chipper, saws, climbing, rigging kit, uniform, ppe.

All opinions welcome!

5 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Interesting post.

What equipment are you running atm?

2 transits, 1 ranger tipper, tipping trailer, tw 150, bandit sg40 and avant 4 series. Would like to think with 1 more chipper and booking jobs in correctly the equipment will cover 2 teams.

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

How can you run 3-4 weeks ahead ? Do you do jobs before they come in ?

Booked 3-4 weeks in advance 😴

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Benarb said:

2 transits, 1 ranger tipper, tipping trailer, tw 150, bandit sg40 and avant 4 series. Would like to think with 1 more chipper and booking jobs in correctly the equipment will cover 2 teams.

Booked 3-4 weeks in advance 😴

Ah . ☺️

51 minutes ago, Benarb said:

As per title thinking about putting another 2/3 man team together to keep up with work coming in and just wondered on peoples experiences with this.

We're currently a 3 man team and tend to run around 3-4 weeks ahead of ourselves and find people don't want to wait longer than this so we either lose the work or i just don't quote smaller jobs that i know we wont get round to or want to do, fruit trees, small hedging jobs, overhanging branches etc. I know all these jobs add up but we never seem to get a day/afternoon free to get through the little jobs that come in.

We do spend a fair bit on advertising to ensure the work is there and get enough enquiries to cover 2 teams, would just need to be more competitive on the pricing to win more of the work and not price what we want and over price what we don't.

So the question is, is it worth the hassle? finding decent staff that are reliable, polite and most importantly do a good job etc. Extra kit, chipper, saws, climbing, rigging kit, uniform, ppe.

All opinions welcome!

I have the same problem at the moment but I won’t deviate from my pricing structure they either say yes to the quotation or they get someone else...as for trying to keep up with work it’s a fine balance..i’am at an age now we’re I don’t want the hassle of employing guys even stubbies so what I have done is a good friend of mine who is a lot younger then me and does a lot of site contract work has 3 lads on the books and another 4 subbies Tuesdays and Fridays so on the bigger jobs I quote for i price accordingly as per guys and equipment needed(we have agreed a day rate for which ever scenario occurs as cost per man/equipment needed) and if I get the work I book it in either for a Tuesday or Friday if needed and any other days if slightly smaller jobs and like you say at the moment it’s at least a 3/4 week Waite at moment which obviously means going into nesting season which a Joe public either don’t understand or care this can become an issue in a lot of circumstances.i make good money on all my jobs without 90% of thr hassle,think it’s called work smart and not stupid and don’t be greedy,I know what I need per day/job to cover everything and I make more then enough so my advice to you would be just get a subbie gang in and agree a daily rate for what you need,Price your jobs so you know we’re you are and skim your % of that.its working for me and it means I don’t need to turn work away as I can concentrate on the smaller take downs,felling,hedge Work,Overhanging branches etc etc knowing on the bigger jobs I got it coverd and the man power to deal with it,it also means i’am helping my buddy out by finding work and keep his lads going so it’s a win win for both.

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

I went down this road some years ago. In my experience good staff will soon leave to run their own show, why wouldn't they? So you end up with the dross, who just cause headaches and seem to think they are doing you a favour just turning up.

That's the problem and 100% fair enough starting their own gig. Currently the team we have is brilliant my brother and a school friend. Both 110% reliable, trustworthy and brilliant with customers. Ideal situation would be myself running 1 team and brother the other so i know that the standard of work is being kept high!

5 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

I have the same problem at the moment but I won’t deviate from my pricing structure they either say yes to the quotation or they get someone else...as for trying to keep up with work it’s a fine balance..i’am at an age now we’re I don’t want the hassle of employing guys even stubbies so what I have done is a good friend of mine who is a lot younger then me and does a lot of site contract work has 3 lads on the books and another 4 subbies Tuesdays and Fridays so on the bigger jobs I quote for i price accordingly as per guys and equipment needed(we have agreed a day rate for which ever scenario occurs as cost per man/equipment needed and if I get the work I book it in either for a Tuesday or Friday if needed and any other days if slightly smaller jobs and like you say at the moment it’s at least a 3/4 week Waite at moment which obviously means going into nesting season which a Joe public either don’t understand or care this can become an issue in a lot of circumstances.i make good money on all my jobs without 90% of thr hassle,think it’s called work smart and not stupid and don’t be greedy,I know what I need per day/job to cover everything and I make more then enough so my advice to you would be just get a subbie gang in and agree a daily rate for what you need,Price your jobs so you know we’re you are and skim your % of that.its working for me and it means I don’t need to turn work away as I can concentrate on the smaller take downs,felling,hedge Work,Overhanging branches etc etc knowing on the bigger jobs I got it coverd and the man power to deal with it,it also means i’am helping my buddy out by finding work and keep his lads going so it’s a win win for both.

Exactly what i was thinking of doing, finding a 2/3 man team that want extra work or can jump on bigger jobs with us. Only problem is most of them think they're worth £1200 a day. It's just like finding good staff, few and far between.

16 minutes ago, Benarb said:

That's the problem and 100% fair enough starting their own gig. Currently the team we have is brilliant my brother and a school friend. Both 110% reliable, trustworthy and brilliant with customers. Ideal situation would be myself running 1 team and brother the other so i know that the standard of work is being kept high!

Exactly what i was thinking of doing, finding a 2/3 man team that want extra work or can jump on bigger jobs with us. Only problem is most of them think they're worth £1200 a day. It's just like finding good staff, few and far between.

You need to find a good team and have a chat..£1,200 seems way over dy rate for even a 3 man team which usually comprises of 1 Climber 2 Ground Staff 1 Chipper and may be 2 trucks but minimum 1 so even if your climber wanted £250 a day and the groundies £120 that’s only £490+say £300for Chipper and Trucks that’s £790 so round it up to say £800 at most so I would say depending on we’re you are you could find a decent 3 Man Team offer somewhere around £800/£900 per day and agree that price and put your quotation in at a price we’re you make what you need...so if you need a 3 Man Team Chipper/truck you should be putting them on on bigger jobs we’re you should be putting in a price we’re you should be making minimum £500...no doubt I will be ripped apart on here as to my priceing and % needed to make but obviously these rates will vary up and down the country.

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 1