Need help with direction of education to take.

Taggy

Hey everybody I've only had my cs30/31 for around a year but I'm starting to feel really comfortable with the saw now and getting better every time I'm on the saw. 

I'm looking to take the next step into putting more money into my training now to try and get more work in the industry I currently work for an employer but I'd like to get a position as a climber. 

What is needed? Cs 38 39 40 and 41? Is that enough aswell as a cs30/31 to start and gain ground and really take on climbing positions? 

BTW I'm 15 stone and u uneducated on what a comfortable climbing weight is I could maybe drop a stone in a couple month if it helps. 

Thanks for any help 

Edited by Taggy
  • Like 1

38/39 is the essential, 40 and 41 are usually listed as desirable in job adverts.

I have 41, for me it was useful as it made my rigging safer and more effective but a lot of people just carry on without and pick up skills at work.

Lighter is always better as less work to pull yourself up the tree, if you start climbing you will probably find the weight magically fall off. It's not a barrier though, more fitness than weight.

Your rope takes care of that, seen big lads do tip ends no bother and as many skinny racing snakes that can’t, that’s down to ability and practice. Cs38 will get you more work as a groundy/rescue climber. A good crew will give you some tree time with 38 but 39 is the big step forward, after that get some experience first, rigging and pruning will be easier then 👍

That makes me feel loads better that I won't snap branches being heavier than the racing whippets haha OK great so just get good practise. 

Yea I aim to get a beginner starter climbing kit ASAP and get on 38 course ASAP. 

You advise doing 38 and 39 together or one at a time few months under belt with 38 then 39?

Thanks

Well I just turned 30 and hope it's not to late to start climbing 

I keep thinking I wished I had of done it 5-10 years ago but didn't have the money/education to get where I wanted to be but now it's possible so thanks for all the help lads. Took a few notes 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Taggy said:

I keep thinking I wished I had of done it 5-10 years ago but didn't have the money/education to get where I wanted to be but now it's possible so thanks for all the help lads. Took a few notes 

30 is still young to start climbing if you have not had a beating and reasonably fit. I twisted my back putting an awkward ceiling up in a small cupboard age 21 and given me problems ever since. I have to visit my physio at least every 2 months to get straightened out or i am in a lot of bother 

Well I'm 17 stone and don't snap too much, you'll be fine. And I started at 45 and maybe wish I'd done it earlier too, but then life's like that - all you can do is move forward.

I did my 38 and then had a gap, it worked for me because I managed to get some climbing in doing prunes etc so by the time I was on the 39 I was more confident dangling on a rope and could think more about the saw.
  • Like 2