Stock Fencing Price 2021

Commando

41 minutes ago, peds said:

If anyone wants to take a break from the pointless needling in this thread, I'd be grateful for any advice to a first-time fencer. I'm doing 150m for my neighbour next week, with a couple of gates, one in the middle, one at an end. I've just read about diagonal struts, they seem simple enough to do. Will I need to borrow a tensioner for this distance, or will I manage it by hand?

I'm thinking it'll be a strand of plain wire just above ground level (or not), 5 strand sheep wire, then two strands of barbed wire.

Any dos or don'ts are much appreciated.

Deffo tension it. Been watching some jokers put up a stock fence between house and the farm. Took about 4 days for 3 blokes to do around 200m. Not properly tensioned and sagging all over the place. They also started from the top with the barbed wire, when they fitted the stock fence the gap between them was all over the shop.

We do barbed wire just above the ground, stock fence and two strands of barbed on top. Gripples are great for nipping stuff up at the joins. Don't hammer the staples right in on the barbed wire on the intermediate posts so the barbed wire can move a bit and not pull posts over if a tree comes down etc and you can re-tighten it. 

I'm sure you can get better advice from proper fencing professionals though!

• Like 1

Roger that, all understood. Barbed wire on the ground instead of straight? I guess that'll stop even the most determined of wee beasties trying to tunnel out. I've already got loads, that'll actually be cheaper than buying a roll of straight. 

I'll find a tensioner from somewhere then. Cheers. 

I hate barb on bottom and refuse to do it, absolutely no need for it, a sheep won't push hrougha tight plain wire.

The ammount off times I've ripped open my hands digging below a fence to find a buried barb.

Does it neighbour has cattle too? If so u LL need a taller me than 5 strand. Normal net is 8.

Have u dug strainers in before? Or are u hireng a post chapper?

Do u have any fencing tools?

At 150m u LL need 2 sets of wire strainers, ur blue bars just won't cut it at that distance 

If u haven't dug strainers in before ,( and even have the tools to do it, need long pinches  and long handle spade or shuv holers,) and don't have man fencing tools d e as well getting a pro in.

Digging and packing strainers in takes time u be got 4 for gates alone to do , if they're not right and tight  whole fence will be a mess and gates will wobble about.

With wire fencing all comes down to trainers

• Like 2

We've got a digger on site doing drains and a new lane right now, he's tapping in all posts on his last trip down the lane to the road.

But yeah, I've got shoveholers as well, and a few other tools. I know a few folk with livestock, and I was planting forestry a while back with a pair of lads who do fencing, so I'm sure I can borrow some tensioners from somewhere. 

Interesting to hear your opinion on barbed wire at ground level, I suppose fencing is like beekeeping... ask 10 beekeepers for advice and you'll get 11 different opinions. 

If I end up doing a shit job I'll get my two fencing friends to have a go, and they'd probably toss it out in an afternoon, but at the moment I've got more time than money and it's a skill I'd like to learn.

2 minutes ago, peds said:

We've got a digger on site doing drains and a new lane right now, he's tapping in all posts on his last trip down the lane to the road.

But yeah, I've got shoveholers as well, and a few other tools. I know a few folk with livestock, and I was planting forestry a while back with a pair of lads who do fencing, so I'm sure I can borrow some tensioners from somewhere. 

Interesting to hear your opinion on barbed wire at ground level, I suppose fencing is like beekeeping... ask 10 beekeepers for advice and you'll get 11 different opinions. 

If I end up doing a shit job I'll get my two fencing friends to have a go, and they'd probably toss it out in an afternoon, but at the moment I've got more time than money and it's a skill I'd like to learn.

For stock net and barbed/plain we always used a crowbar and short chain or rope . At the end of each pull the bar was put in line with the last vertical strand then the loose ends wrapped round the bar and back round the wire. Just needs a pull with a truck/tractor then to tension. Doesn.t need to be done very roll of netting, if you have a run of a roll plus to the next strainer/ corner post do it all in one pull.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ESS said:

Just needs a pull with a truck/tractor then to tension. Doesn.t need to be done very roll of netting, if you have a run of a roll plus to the next strainer/ corner post do it all in one pull.

I understand... that's very helpful. Thanks. The whole fence is in line with the new lane so that could easily be a solution. 

Barbed wire is a waste of time on a fence and should never be put at the bottom, over many years of living near a farm and working on them if cattle are determined or spooked they will go through it and farmer lands up with big vet bill. 

All pro fencers any tie off at the beginning and then at the end, have seen over 800m passing around corners and just tied off either side of the gate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ESS said:

For stock net and barbed/plain we always used a crowbar and short chain or rope . At the end of each pull the bar was put in line with the last vertical strand then the loose ends wrapped round the bar and back round the wire. Just needs a pull with a truck/tractor then to tension. Doesn.t need to be done very roll of netting, if you have a run of a roll plus to the next strainer/ corner post do it all in one pull.

Th farmer opposite me did that, tightened it all up with the tractor

Fencing isn't rocket science, but like everything easy ways and hard ways.

I'd just get ur mates involved from start learn a bit off them and it will save u buying any tools.

Dunno where u are but most fencing companies are always looking for decent men, only takes a little knowledge and some common sense and u can soon be a real decent man to have in a fencing squad.

1 very common make fencing is either putting steeples in too far or straight up and down post with grain, they just pop out as post dries and splits.

Woody just cos only tied off at the ends does not necessarily mean that section was pulled in 1 pull, any intermediate pulls will just be steepled home on the strainer u can usually tell as on those strainers barb I'll be wrapped round posts to hold them.

Seen u doing long long sections without tieing/wrapping off althou may have had many pulls.

How far u can pull in 1 stretch I'll depend on the ground etc, seen u pulling 3-500+m if pulling to middle with a pair off clamps.

Seen it pulled with diggers too personally I just prefer hand pullers

• Like 3