Stock Fencing Price 2021

Commando

10 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Is there much point grinding the stumps if it's to be tarmac?

Would think the ground will be dug down anyway for the base, if they're small diameter stumps they'd be grubbed out

100%, but he's so full of shit he just writes whatever comes into his head first.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

1pm to 5pm today dismantling a 3' fence because the client wants a 6' fence. I believe its actually harder because I have to bolt through the new posts and half check others to make it look straight. Going to finish it tomorrow hopefully so I can seal a roof on Tuesday. To be a good liar then one needs a good memory so that's the reason I'm no good at it, so I just say it as it is. I know it upsets folk but I don't intend too but envy is a nasty emotion, live and let live is my forte. 😉

I have to admit never changed a fence from 3ft to 6ft before.

But are u just bolting 3ft extensions to the existing fence posts???

I sort off guessed that's wot u were doing.

I'd get ur bill in quick and hope no big winds in meantime.

A post put in for a 3ft fence is never in a million years  be strong enough or dug in deep enough or with enough concrete to support a 6ft fence.

Unless very sheltered  fence will not last long.

Even a 3" post is not heavy enough for a 6ft fence no matter how deep or well concreted in unless very sheltered.

That's why larch lap fences always snap off at ground level.as usually put up with 3 inch posts.

Only proper way to do it is scrap whole fence and start again with proper posts dug in and well concreted.

• Like 5

On 26/02/2021 at 19:31, Matthew Storrs said:

Generally I’m around £6-7 quid all in- roughly half and half materials/labour that’s split Chestnut stakes. Creosote would be a bit more.

So variable though. If it’s loads of short runs with turns and corners it goes up rapidly! 

Thanks Matt, do you only use split chestnut?  Shame, Holsworthy probably a bit far for you!

9 hours ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

Indeed, 2 foot minimum and if I can 28" then I very happy. Priced jobs and others cut my price by a third. They used 3" posts and I think they hammered them in. A few years later the wind blew the whole thing down.

2ft is not enough for a 6ft fence esp if solid, we always dug 32"  using 8ft6" stabs as standard and deeper in soft ground exposed places. 

Boss always wanted concrete in below post 1st

We also rarely used postcrete apart from very small jobs,  as just too expensive the ammount u need to put in Rome each post.

Too many folk think 1 bag per post is enough

Have u not done exactly that thou using the 3" posts from the previous 3ft fence?

U have no idea if concreted, how much or how deep.

• Like 2