Tachograph rules

Paddy1000111

Hi everyone, 

Anyone know the law on Tachographs? I am going to look at a transit tomorrow that's low mileage and has lots of additional "toys". One of which is a tachograph. It looks to be ex highways so must have had to have it for towing or something (its a 350, 3.5t btw). If a vehicle has a tachograph do I legally have to use it?

A tacho is completely useless to me so does anyone know much about the digital VDO tachographs? Can I remove it and sell it on or is it some way coded to the vehicle? 

My other question is if they cut out the ignition and put the vehicle in a non-start position if you aren't logged on? If I'm not legally required to use it, it might make a good anti-theft device. 

1 minute ago, PeteB said:

There are several threads on this subject and is as clear as mud at times. Us the search function and read on! Go to the DVLA webpage too....

Sorry, I'll go for a deeper dig! I just wanted to know if I was required to use it which I can't really find on the DVLA website as they talk about when I am required to use it. 

Also want to know if I can take it out easily without issues. 

They can be removed and I've never heard of an inhibitor fitted. If I'm out in  my GreenMech Ranger and towing light liads or I'm on my time, I press the buttons to change it to "out of scope" of tacograph operations and it doesn't record anything. But best get the proper advice for your circumstances anyhow!

Modern units also can record driving style which can then be analysed to see if you been driving like a dick too!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Modern units also can record driving style which can then be analysed to see if you been driving like a dick too!

That's 95% of my driving... 😂

I can't forsee any circumstance where I would ever need one. I know the rules around towing and tacho's and I am always within the tacho free radius of base so it is completely surplus to requirements. 

I just know nothing of tachos and the info is hard to come by. Having a little mystery black box that's causes issues sounds like a no for me. Plus I don't intend on applying for a tacho card etc from the DVLA 

No you don’t have to use it unless you are over 3.5 tonnes train weight and over 100 kgs from home so until you put a trailer on don’t use it and if you are going more than 100 kgs with a trailer use it 

if you deliver goods for your business use it all the time 

Most arb work is going to be carrying/towing tools for the purpose of your work which is tacho exempt. Think it would only become an issue if you were delivering goods or equipment i.e firewood deliveries. 

My understanding from my previous employer anyway. Towing a digger if I was going to use it was fine, delivering it (or anything else) for someone else wasn't.

• Like 1

Just now, Darkslider said:

Most arb work is going to be carrying/towing tools for the purpose of your work which is tacho exempt. Think it would only become an issue if you were delivering goods or equipment i.e firewood deliveries. 

My understanding from my previous employer anyway. Towing a digger if I was going to use it was fine, delivering it (or anything else) for someone else wasn't.

Yea, that's what I got from the rules. I wonder what the second hand tacho market is like. More than anything I was curious about if it's legally required that I use it if it's fitted 

1 hour ago, dumper said:

No you don’t have to use it unless you are over 3.5 tonnes train weight and over 100 kgs from home so until you put a trailer on don’t use it and if you are going more than 100 kgs with a trailer use it 

if you deliver goods for your business use it all the time 

Yes but not kg rather km