Thinning by hand and small scale winching

On 25/04/2021 at 13:26, Vedhoggar said:

Well organised, tidy and low impact. On rate it really depends on your operating costs/what you are prepared to work for plus a profit of not less that 15% but ideally 20%. 

Yes this is true as this industry needs to start raising rates so we can reinvest into better gear and training people up.

On 22/04/2021 at 18:35, MattyF said:

I recon £45 a tonne minimum ... I would of brought all of that for £32 a tonne! 
I was offered £60 a tonne recently for beech. 
ive just been offered £40 a tonne for shite willow biomass , Some one was paying £90 a tonne standing for Sitka in keilder recently! 

Was this a block on the west side of Keilder here you refare to as i know of some Sitka that sold for around that amount but it was a couple of years ago tho, and i believe they where some very very decent sized trees with a average DBH of 800mm and went off site in 40ft poles, 

On 21/04/2021 at 19:49, Nathan Pearson said:

Thanks for your comments yes taper was low due to no intervention since planting so stems where lovely didnt want to over thin as fear for windthrow but there is loads more to do next year bit by bit may get a remote winch for then haha.

I would be looking for some form of crane to sort the timber once it has been winched up. I did years of manual stacking, and i am now starting to pay the penalty. A jake plate mounted crane on something like a 60hp tractor will be reasonably cheap to purchase .

• Like 1

Yes mate my thoughts exactly either as a back hoe (although never heard of a jake plate enlighten me) or 3 ton swinger with grab and also cpuld use for ditching and track work to an extent. And could stil move with me truck, and would leave my tractor with the winch on and grab with swinger to clear landing zone as that clogs up quick.

Im deffo not going to be stacking by hand for ever few times to know you can then save the body and get a machine hahaha

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nathan Pearson said:

Yes mate my thoughts exactly either as a back hoe (although never heard of a jake plate enlighten me) or 3 ton swinger with grab and also cpuld use for ditching and track work to an extent. And could stil move with me truck, and would leave my tractor with the winch on and grab with swinger to clear landing zone as that clogs up quick.

Im deffo not going to be stacking by hand for ever few times to know you can then save the body and get a machine hahaha

Looks like you will be eyeing up yr next machine, mate  ( don get riddun thaaat tracterrrr mind 😁 she a worker, yon!)   K

She aint going nowhere unless its to the woods with me shes a legend honest only put 45 liters in her for that entire 30 day job what happened to effienciency like that hahaha sometimes forget the last time i filled her up.

But yes machinery machinery i love it but it seems to hate me and breaks a lot .....keeps my engineer happy tho....

Suggestions for forestry / mill yard lifting device ah !!!

Telehandler 

Swinger 

All terain forklift 

Unimog

Forwarder

Machine head for digger?

Whats ya thoughts