Thinning by hand and small scale winching

Anyone done much small scale thinning? Any advice would be great I'm currently hand thinning larch and beech not be touched for 50 years up a steep slope.

I've asked for £32.50 per cube to within reach of a grab. Is this a reasonable rate?

Some trees are 35 but most are 25cm base overbark. 

What is a usual amount to land? having to fell sned and winch, then cut 6 different products and stack ready to be forwarded out?

I'm winching with a massey 35x and a 3.5 uniforest and my friend is forwarding with a palms and valtra what is going rate for forwarding? I've heard £6-7 a cube?.

Cheers 

I'm out of touch with rates, but the last I heard skyline work was fetching from around about £30-£32 up to around £50 a cube.  Full on skyline on clearfell with big timber.  Your forwarder rate sounds about right, but again I'm out of touch.  

Can you make it pay at your rates?  If you can and they'll pay it then happy days.  If you can't you need to rethink your prices, no point in doing it if your not making money.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2021 at 20:33, Spruce Pirate said:

I'm out of touch with rates, but the last I heard skyline work was fetching from around about £30-£32 up to around £50 a cube.  Full on skyline on clearfell with big timber.  Your forwarder rate sounds about right, but again I'm out of touch.  

Can you make it pay at your rates?  If you can and they'll pay it then happy days.  If you can't you need to rethink your prices, no point in doing it if your not making money.

Yea this is more rectification thinning as the site has had no work done for about 50 years so trees are very slender and are from 30 to 10 cm dbh.  I don't think I could do it for any less but hard to assess What s been processed as it's been too wet to forward out and piles all over the place are hard to calculate.....

Fingers crossed the stacks add up ....

On 25/02/2021 at 20:40, gdh said:

£30-35 per ton is the going rate for extracting hardwood to stacks around here. Unless it's milling grade you couldn't justify a lot more because of the end price.

The guys who owns it scored a great one with some builder in Bristol who needs 8 meter lengths 30 max bottom end to 16cm tops don't know how we are going to extract them but hey ho......there worth more than saw logs hahaha

• 3 weeks later...