Go lo Pro?

Alasdairs dog

20 minutes ago, agg221 said:

No, what I am saying is that if you treat it appropriately lo-pro works very nicely for milling, is quicker and produces a smoother finish, but if you want something you can abuse then it is not the solution for you. 'Abuse' may not be deliberate - it may be something you are doing which you do not realise is a problem. I once had a colleague who couldn't understand why her suspension kept wearing out - someone went on a test drive with her and she took all the speed bumps at 20mph because that was the speed limit so it must be OK... As an aside, the Duromatic hard-nosed bars take a significant percentage of the saw's power and heat up more. They are also far more difficult to get the tension right. The information around this subject is best found in Will Maloff's book - are you familiar with it?

If you look at the people posting on this thread, there are two who have notably negative experiences and quite a few who have positive experiences - if you want to go back through the posts and count the experience of each poster then you would get a balance but more appear to be positive than negative. I note that the person who has blown nose sprockets has relatively little experience; some of the people who have reported positive experiences have been milling for 10+ years (I bought my first Alaskan before Rob D even set up in business, in 1998). What does not help is focusing only on the people who have the same experience as you. If they have the same issues then they cannot help - it is the people who have a different experience who can help, assuming you want a solution rather than just to give an opinion (if you just want to give an opinion, you have done so, but don't expect people who have had a different experience to agree with you).

I do understand how frustrating it is when kit does not work and you can't figure out why. That does not necessarily mean the problem is the kit - if other people are not experiencing the same issues (as clearly they are not) then it is worth learning from them what it is that you are doing differently. If you want to try and figure that out, post up details of your set-up. Add photos, the type of timber, video of you milling and those of us who use it successfully should be able to indicate where the differences lie.

Alec

Not really much point as he has mentioned he is using another setup alec which works for him. I get the fact we all like using different equipment and as long as the end result is achieved does it really matter. Perhaps some saws and mill setups are more suited to a heavy handed approach.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Not really much point as he has mentioned he is using another setup alec which works for him. I get the fact we all like using different equipment and as long as the end result is achieved does it really matter. Perhaps some saws and mill setups are more suited to a heavy handed approach.

I think I am being so stubborn (and I can see that I am) because I have only had the 'you obviously don't know what you are' doing response. How about I admit to being a tad heavy handed, apologies for whinging and as you have rightly pointed out just get on and use the gear that suits me. The hardnose bar does sap some power but with an 881 it makes very little odds and the chain tension is far easier to set up than the other chain which I won't mention again. I can tension a chain, I can gauge the feedback through the saw when milling and I have been doing it for nearly but not quite 20 years. Still no idea why I failed so badly with the lo Pro or why so many others have, but they obviously have their place as there are plenty of success stories. To see what I am milling look for Alasdair Kilpatrick on Instagram, plenty of pics there. No offense or criticism of you guys or chsinsawbars intended. Time to move on I think. Thanks for the input and patience of all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alasdairs dog said:

Here we go again. Plenty of people are finding issues. It's not just me but I really don't think this is going anywhere and I believe I am sounding as many have pointed out like a bit of a knob. Differences of opinion are allowed. If I could work out how to delete my account I would happily leave you all to it. But I can't. Of the dozen or do people I know who use chain saw Mills for a living most would not go near lo Pro at all and off those that tried it  4 not including me have experienced issues specifically related to the lo Pro set up. If pointing that out makes me a bleating moron then so be it. But.. It is genuinely the case and I will happily accept that those who use this sort of platform to prove they know best consider us to be inexperienced feck wits. It really doesn't change the facts. 

Only just seen this cheerful thread!

You bought the lo pro stuff. You broke it. You bleated about it. We refunded you.

Who lost out? We don't want to do business with you again for obvious reasons. Most of those on this platform don't know best but there is a high probability they know more than you. The reason is they can entertain the fact that it could be them that is responsible for breaking something.

• Like 2

Basically you’ve had issues with using lo pro. Plenty on here haven’t had any issues including me using 661 & 48 inch GB bar.
Decide for yourself what that is saying when others and myself have had no issues and you have, that’s for you to work out. People have tried to give their actual experience with lo pro,and Rob, it is you who won’t listen, not others and that is your choice. “I’m convinced” “no business being used” 36inch only bla bla ... good for you that’s in your experience and opinion with it. Not everyone’s!
Stop trying to tell me and others it’s being miss-sold and doesn’t work when clearly it does and can just you can’t get it to work.
You couldn’t make it work so you complained and have subtly talked down Lo pro, GB and Rob. You got your money back because you ‘know more’ than Rob no wonder he gave you money back to get you off his case.
You now have a set up that works for you. Carry on with that and your new supplier. The rest of us will keep using Rob, GB bars and Lo Pro.

You’re using a 661, not an 088, 880 or an 881. I think the people who have raised concerns are all using bigger bars and bigger saws and for whatever reason have had issues. You’re about the third guy to say it’s all working fine with a 066, 660 or a 661 like it has any relevance. I ran a 066 with a 36” GB low-pro bar and had no issues, but it’s irrelevant when discussing 120cc saws.

I genuinely don’t know if it’s user error or a product error. But the guys that have used the Low-pro bars on the 120cc saws seem to have issues with the sprockets and the guys with smaller saws, including myself, have not.

You’re using a 661, not an 088, 880 or an 881. I think the people who have raised concerns are all using bigger bars and bigger saws and for whatever reason have had issues. You’re about the third guy to say it’s all working fine with a 066, 660 or a 661 like it has any relevance. I ran a 066 with a 36” GB low-pro bar and had no issues, but it’s irrelevant when discussing 120cc saws.

I genuinely don’t know if it’s user error or a product error. But the guys that have used the Low-pro bars on the 120cc saws seem to have issues with the sprockets and the guys with smaller saws, including myself, have not.

Read the original post and why he claimed back on the Lo Pro. And that it is ‘miss-sold’

I have already stated I can’t comment on 880/1 but realise you would need to be sensible with it.

“Hey up. Lo Pro milling bars are a waste of time on anything over 36inch bars! Discuss”

I was answering the post and subsequent ones on lo pro and Rob.

And now this post ^ makes you the about the 4th [emoji28]

1 hour ago, Rob D said:

Only just seen this cheerful thread!

You bought the lo pro stuff. You broke it. You bleated about it. We refunded you.

Who lost out? We don't want to do business with you again for obvious reasons. Most of those on this platform don't know best but there is a high probability they know more than you. The reason is they can entertain the fact that it could be them that is responsible for breaking something.

I didn't bleat (expletives deleted) I asked for advice, and when I didn't have a positive response to the gear and dared to question it you cut me off completely. Hence I am cross.