Go lo Pro?

Alasdairs dog

Just not enough material between the ID and the root of the teeth, I noticed from Ben Scott's pictures that the GB bar is only about half the width at the tip compared to the Stihl so it will have much more teeth and more material to the sprocket.
I know that my Stihl 36" bar is an option with a ' Y ' suffix which denotes 1 or 2 extra teeth 12 in total I think, can't remember which..... how many tips have you gone through ?

That’s my third tip gone
I milled for ages with a 066 and a 36” Stilhl bar and never had any problems
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ben scott said:

I milled for ages with a 066 and a 36” Stilhl bar and never had any problems

That's more or less my setup but I don't do it for a living, the GB tip just looks too wee, it would be interesting to know it's hardness as a clue to whether it's deforming and fatiguing or just snapping, cheers.

That's more or less my setup but I don't do it for a living, the GB tip just looks too wee, it would be interesting to know it's hardness as a clue to whether it's deforming and fatiguing or just snapping, cheers.

I’m far from doing it for a living too
I’m still in remote school and milling in my breaks and study lessons :)
As for the harness not sure how I would test for that.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ben scott said:

As for the harness not sure how I would test for that.

Well I suppose the easiest to hand way of getting an idea of hardness would be to run a decent chain file over various areas of the bust sprocket and comparing what kind of cut you get in the steel compared to say the top of a tooth on your chain... the more of a bite the file gets ...the softer the metal, if it skites off leaving a shiny mark on your file.. the metal could be hardened [ very rule of thumb ]

We're at opposite ends of a working life as I'm past doing it for a living 😂 all the best to you 👍

On 08/03/2021 at 07:26, Stihl123 said:

sorry if someone has already asked, but anyone have these issues with running lopro on a 661 or not?

as am looking into replacing my 36 with a lopro

for occasional use only!!  

another question would be has anyone had issues with the 36"  or just the 48"?

would the extra resistance of the 48 causing the sprocket to break? 

as for the use with a 660 

the 660 has 7.1 hp and the 880 at 8.6

the 880 lasted at 20 mins of cutting with the last sprocket we had 

so i cant imagine that the 660 lasting a very long time even with the less power 

i could be wrong 

• Like 1

Hey up. Lo Pro milling bars are a waste of time on anything over 36inch bars! Discuss. 

Seriously though I have had some epic fails with the lo Pro stuff that I was very keen to try out. I am no on 404 chain and all of a sudden everything is fine. What's your take on it, there must be a few chsin saw miller's milling about out there. [emoji4]

I have used 661 and stihl pmx 3/8 lo pro for couple of years now with 48inch gb bar on everything up to 100cm oak.
I snapped my first chain on the weekend but it was old and had stretched and I was cutting hard knotted oak.
I have removed a link before to keep the chains tight enough as they can stretch.
Absolutely no issues and I have cut some big timber. I have found stihl pmx to be plenty strong enough. I think it comes down to how you mill and maintain the chain ie wedges, sharpening, tensioning, forcing the cut etc.
To me if people on here are breaking noses and chain with 3/8 lo pro and 661 set up then it’s user error over equipment.
I would definitely go up to 881 when milling larger logs regularly. The 100cm i milled up with the 661 and 3/8 was hard going and I wouldn’t recommend it but it does show what’s possible with correct set up and use. I can’t comment on the 3/8 with an 881 but it sounds logical that you’d want .404.
  • Like 2