Alasdairs dog

28 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

It can be used.
But it’s incredibly delicate.
I choose reliability over kerf size.

No, I haven’t spoken to Rob.
Don’t need to.

Verdict...
Chainsaw milling can be very complicated and difficult, as well as screamingly frustrating!
So keep your toys in the pram and we can all help each other out.
Be nice to rob, he’s a very busy decent guy.
If you fancy a chat about different set ups give me a bell one evening.
Saul
emoji106.png

Nice, cheers. Did not come on here to slate Rob, but don't wanna be ganged up on cos I have an opinion. Delicate does not suit either my style or imo chain saw milling in general. Thanks for being honest. We may well chat soon. Gets of soap box, feels humbled and returns to work. 

• Like 3

Nice, cheers. Did not come on here to slate Rob, but don't wanna be ganged up on cos I have an opinion. Delicate does not suit either my style or imo chain saw milling in general. Thanks for being honest. We may well chat soon. Gets of soap box, feels humbled and returns to work. 

If you ever find yourself in the north,
Pop by Halifax, I’ve got loads of different mills and saw set ups you can have a try with.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

6 minutes ago, Alasdairs dog said:

Its good to voice concerns over certain kit and you've taken all the criticism on the chin. I think its a bit unfair to say that the issues you've had are entirely your fault. Perhaps Low-pro with a 120cc Saw is still in the trial and error stage? Perhaps it will die a death soon? 

Im gonna give it a bash in the full knowledge I'll have to take it easy and will most likely run into issues. I need to be milling later this week and there is no .404 bars available ti at least the 10th and even then it could be later. 

I'll report back and see how I get on. And I'll be using a Winch as well, I dont agree that you loose that much feedback with them. Since Robs being heralded as the Alaskan Guru here and he uses them thats good enough for me. ;) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Its good to voice concerns over certain kit and you've taken all the criticism on the chin. I think its a bit unfair to say that the issues you've had are entirely your fault. Perhaps Low-pro with a 120cc Saw is still in the trial and error stage? Perhaps it will die a death soon? 

Im gonna give it a bash in the full knowledge I'll have to take it easy and will most likely run into issues. I need to be milling later this week and there is no .404 bars available ti at least the 10th and even then it could be later. 

I'll report back and see how I get on. And I'll be using a Winch as well, I dont agree that you loose that much feedback with them. Since Robs being heralded as the Alaskan Guru here and he uses them thats good enough for me. ;) 

Dude that is awsome, really would like to hear how you get on. I opted for a 404 duramatic bar in the end ands it's ace. It did cost me a good few days productivity though. Be sure to let me know how you get on, one thing I was starting to do with the lo Pro was stop and clean out the bar every so often not sure if it will help certainly didn't stop mine from breaking. Be warned that although Rob refunded me he has also band me from using his shop and blocked my number, hence the stihl bar. Good luck and thanks for not telling me I did it all wrong. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rich91 said:

I had problems with sprocket tips exploding. Luckily or unluckily it wasn't my gear. I was running it for someone else.

Couldn't makemuch sense of it as none of my gear has ever self distructed like that. I thought it might have been a duff batch of tips.

It was a 48 inch lo pro ona panther mill 661 combo with an aux oiler milling big oak

Gave a lovely finish till it blew. Went through 2 sprockets in 3 days. Which was actually 2 days milling cos of downtime with tips.

received_718691748852201.jpeg

received_229710565257565.jpeg

I too was thinking of going this direction in order to max out on my 48" setup and I'm now trying to analyse the sequence of the failure

So it would seem from the last pic that the sprocket has given up bending out the plates of the tip and then  causing the chain to jam and snap, Alasdair's looked similar except his looked like the chain had continued to run round the tip for a bit longer after the sprocket buggered.

If a chain was to snap it's most likely that it would just fall away doing no damage to the sprocket.....so what's causing the sprocket to fail ?

Has it a bearing in it ?.....that perhaps collapsed or wore out

Did it seize....and if so was it due to lack of lub or excess pressure beyond it's design capabilities or both ?

Could heat or stretch have quickly and significantly changed the pitch of the chain enough to break off teeth or snap the sprocket ? It would be interesting to drill out the rivets and take a look at and measure the bits.

To me it seems that the sprocket might the culprit but obviously you'd have to have the evidence to hand in order to inspect the debris and come to a conclusion.....there's no doubt that the saw has the power to snap the chain once it's been snagged.

Thoughts welcome, Cheers.

Jeez is this the cancel culture at work😄

Edited by Macpherson

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

I too was thinking of going this direction in order to max out on my 48" setup and I'm now trying to analyse the sequence of the failure

So it would seem from the last pic that the sprocket has given up bending out the plates of the tip and then  causing the chain to jam and snap, Alasdair's looked similar except his looked like the chain had continued to run round the tip for a bit longer after the sprocket buggered.

If a chain was to snap it's most likely that it would just fall away doing no damage to the sprocket.....so what's causing the sprocket to fail ?

Has it a bearing in it ?.....that perhaps collapsed or wore out

Did it seize....and if so was it due to lack of lub or excess pressure beyond it's design capabilities or both ?

Could heat or stretch have quickly and significantly changed the pitch of the chain enough to break off teeth or snap the sprocket ? It would be interesting to drill out the rivets and take a look at and measure the bits.

To me it seems that the sprocket might the culprit but obviously you'd have to have the evidence to hand in order to inspect the debris and come to a conclusion.....there's no doubt that the saw has the power to snap the chain once it's been snagged.

Thoughts welcome, Cheers.

Jeez is this the cancel culture at work😄

I didn't snap any chains just blown sprocket tips I think that was the first time it happened in the pic. If im remember correctly the second tip failure had no distortion. I was pretty stumped tbh thought it could have been a bad batch of tips meby.

The guy I was working for has replaced the tip now and wants to have another go when the land dries out so I'll make an effort to document events and conditions if anything bad happens 

• Like 3

i too have had issues with the tis on my gb bars (48 inch lo pro) I've blown 2 tips in a short amount of time on my 880 

i am far from an expert at anything to do with chainsaws but the nose sprocket seems very narrow on the gb bars... especially compared to something like a .404 36" bar... and with the tension that a 880 would exert on a small radius there's no wonder why it fails...

also i there a chance that the sprocket is too hard and therefore brittle?

i could be absolutely barking up the wrong tree

IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4957.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ben scott said:

also i there a chance that the sprocket is too hard and therefore brittle?

Good point ..if you've got a f*^%&" one, drill out the rivets and put up some pics of the sprocket and it's bearing, just from your pics it's easy to see that it has a much reduced diameter so therefore far less material that must equal less robust, cheers.

On 01/03/2021 at 21:05, Macpherson said:

Good point ..if you've got a f*^%&" one, drill out the rivets and put up some pics of the sprocket and it's bearing, just from your pics it's easy to see that it has a much reduced diameter so therefore far less material that must equal less robust, cheers.

I've attached some photos of the broken sprockets that I've had 

these sprockets have got bearings in them but i doubt that there worn out as the nose bearings were only a couple of hours of use in them. the first time it broke i found the shrapnel of the sprocket half way down the bar jammed in the slot of the bar. the second time is as shown in the photos it was all bunched up underneath. i will drill out the rivets on the broken one tomorrow though see if there's anything else to learn. i don't think it was due to improper lubrication though as i have a spryer bottle full of chain oil as well as the saws oiler running in the chain

IMG_4959.JPG

IMG_4830.JPG

IMG_4960.JPG

Edited by Ben scott