Go lo Pro?

Alasdairs dog

Well if you got a refund, i think your lucky, I think it’s a bit of operator error, the 880/881 with a 404 can start a cut with the teeth against the wood with  which the 660/661 will not with a std 3/8.

So an 881 with a smaller chain is going to be less forgiving,(i'm sure others have had problems when they have switched from std 3/8 to lopro). I thought when you used a chainsaw mill you ran it at full speed, and it cuts, you listen to the engine speed and adjust your pressure on the mill as you want a consistent speed.

i,m not sure why you used a 4.8mm file when it should be a 4mm but looking at the pic of the chain. Although it’s a bit hard to see, the filing seems to be not very consistent over the chain and it looks like it’s been filed a bit more than twice.

We know the chain gets hot and stretches, so I’m wondering  if you’ve over tightened your chain and that’s why the bar nose popped and also broke the chain.

so what I,m saying there’s a finer line with the lopro, and we can’t bully it through the wood, where as we can with a std 3/8

anyhow it would be good hear from others that have had experience of using the lopro stuff

😉👍👍

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I think I know what’s been happening.
You’ve been using a 660/661 with standard 3/8 chain for years.
That’s a medium torque power head with a strong chain.
You’ve upgraded to a high torque (881) power head, and downgraded the strength of your chain (3/8LP)
Gone from 36” to 48”,
Used the wrong file size
And you’re using a winch which massively reduces feedback.
Then you mill like you have done for years...
And it goes horribly wrong...
Sprockets pop and chain snaps.
And you’re 100% certain it’s the kit?

Its hard to be 100% certain but what is certain is that the chain was not as strong nor was the bar and the saw was a lot more powerful, that was clear from the start and in that respect it was the kit. No doubt. I used a 4.8 file I think but the gear gave up before being sharpened more than a couple of times. I was also very cautious of the changes so tried to be extra carful. I have always used a winch and felt that I pretty much had a feel for it. It genuinely seemed that no matter how carefully I went the saw and chain/bar were just not compatible. This said and given other comments about the lo Pro stuff I am pretty sure, as sure as I can be that it was the gear.

Sharpening could have been an issue I can see that bit nothing lasted long enough for this to be a real problem. The first sprocket blue on a relatively small piece of hemlock with a brand new chain. I was baying the saw along and barely used the winch as I wanted to get a feel for both the saw and the cutting capabilities of the chain. So pretty much yes I blame the gear. 

On 27/02/2021 at 18:12, Wonky said:

Just what I was going to ask 😉

4.8 mm file ?  

my guess so far is wrong file size, thus wrong angle on tooth, and or because you seemed to have filed into the gullet more making a weak spot, although it’s difficult to see from the poor quality pic of chain, although I’ve zoomed in as best as I can.

as for using the winch you could be putting a lot more pressure than you realise, thus duller chain due to wrong file size and with the power of the 880 it put to much pressure on the nose sprocket,

(people blow nose sprockets when bore cutting with a dull chain and pushing hard)

the sprocket is the other thing, that’s been a problem in the past, ie wrong, std 3/8 is wrong  the size of the drive link is different  between std  & lopro 

i,m not saying this is a definite answer, it’s a possibility of why.

We need better pics of chain and your sprocket 😉

and don’t worry we’re here to help so others learn as well.👍

C6934FCD-FC97-421B-8A02-AD9BFC554E67.png

Sounds like an option I can see how using the wrong file size would weekend the chain. But... It was a new chain and barely did a days work so I don't think even that would account for it snapping. I've run 3/8th on the 661 down to nothing and never had an issue. I still believe that the lo Pro stuff just isn't suitable for bigger saws. The rim sprocket was sport on. Can't send any more pics as the whole lot was returned to chain saw bars for a much appreciated refund. 

16 hours ago, Wonky said:

Well if you got a refund, i think your lucky, I think it’s a bit of operator error, the 880/881 with a 404 can start a cut with the teeth against the wood with  which the 660/661 will not with a std 3/8.

So an 881 with a smaller chain is going to be less forgiving,(i'm sure others have had problems when they have switched from std 3/8 to lopro). I thought when you used a chainsaw mill you ran it at full speed, and it cuts, you listen to the engine speed and adjust your pressure on the mill as you want a consistent speed.

i,m not sure why you used a 4.8mm file when it should be a 4mm but looking at the pic of the chain. Although it’s a bit hard to see, the filing seems to be not very consistent over the chain and it looks like it’s been filed a bit more than twice.

We know the chain gets hot and stretches, so I’m wondering  if you’ve over tightened your chain and that’s why the bar nose popped and also broke the chain.

so what I,m saying there’s a finer line with the lopro, and we can’t bully it through the wood, where as we can with a std 3/8

anyhow it would be good hear from others that have had experience of using the lopro stuff

😉👍👍

Wish I'd got more pics of the chain, but there seems to this assumption that I went at like a bull in a China shop but I didn't. I think the chsin pictured did about a days worth of cutting. Never had issues sharpening chsin before so either I completely tripped out and forgot what I was doing or quite simply lo Pro stuff is not suited to 880s etc. Is that really so hard to accept when nearly every one here uses 404 chain on big saws. It's a fairly simple concept. Big saw and small chain equals broken chain. And bar. 

Sounds like an option I can see how using the wrong file size would weekend the chain. But... It was a new chain and barely did a days work so I don't think even that would account for it snapping. I've run 3/8th on the 661 down to nothing and never had an issue. I still believe that the lo Pro stuff just isn't suitable for bigger saws. The rim sprocket was sport on. Can't send any more pics as the whole lot was returned to chain saw bars for a much appreciated refund. 

Dude.
You ****************ed up.
You’re inexperienced and didn’t know what you were doing.
You’ve buggered up a load of robs expensive kit,
Got an angry refund,
And now you’re on arbtalk trying to garner support against lo pro.
Because of your inability to use it!
Seriously pal, get over yourself.
  • Like 2

I had problems with sprocket tips exploding. Luckily or unluckily it wasn't my gear. I was running it for someone else.

Couldn't makemuch sense of it as none of my gear has ever self distructed like that. I thought it might have been a duff batch of tips.

It was a 48 inch lo pro ona panther mill 661 combo with an aux oiler milling big oak

Gave a lovely finish till it blew. Went through 2 sprockets in 3 days. Which was actually 2 days milling cos of downtime with tips.

received_718691748852201.jpeg

received_229710565257565.jpeg

Alisdair,
You clearly do a lot of really cool stuff.
Really like your Instagram.
I’d recommend you go .404 with your 881.
There’s only a couple of mm difference in kerf between .404 and standard 3/8.
Mistakes happen.
Read the today’s milling thread if you’d like to see some of mine.
(And I’ve made a lot).
Apart from castings breaking on chilaskan mills.
Everything I’ve broken or bent in milling has been user error.

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Dude.
You ****************ed up.
You’re inexperienced and didn’t know what you were doing.
You’ve buggered up a load of robs expensive kit,
Got an angry refund,
And now you’re on arbtalk trying to garner support against lo pro.
Because of your inability to use it!
Seriously pal, get over yourself.

Pretty much as expected then. Trying to find out what went wrong is all. Don't need to garner support for anything. So you've chatted to Rob and decided I am no good. I think the fact I haven't mentioned Robs utterly sh*t attitude and P!ss poor customer service, let alone his utter inability to take on board anything that he doesn't want to agree with shows that I am genuinely trying to figure things out. I am not immune to error but f£&king don't think inexperienced is the term. Apology pending I am sure. 

37 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Alisdair,
You clearly do a lot of really cool stuff.
Really like your Instagram.
I’d recommend you go .404 with your 881.
There’s only a couple of mm difference in kerf between .404 and standard 3/8.
Mistakes happen.
Read the today’s milling thread if you’d like to see some of mine.
(And I’ve made a lot).
Apart from castings breaking on chilaskan mills.
Everything I’ve broken or bent in milling has been user error.

Generly too busy actually working and getting the experience I am apparently lacking to scroll through threads. This is fairly disappointing to be honest. 

The current verdict on my thread Is, don't use lo Pro on 48ineven though you can, but it isn't strong enough but even though it isn't strong enough if it breaks its your fault. Can you sense my frustration. 

Generly too busy actually working and getting the experience I am apparently lacking to scroll through threads. This is fairly disappointing to be honest. 

The current verdict on my thread Is, don't use lo Pro on 48ineven though you can, but it isn't strong enough but even though it isn't strong enough if it breaks its your fault. Can you sense my frustration. 

It can be used.
But it’s incredibly delicate.
I choose reliability over kerf size.

No, I haven’t spoken to Rob.
Don’t need to.

Verdict...
Chainsaw milling can be very complicated and difficult, as well as screamingly frustrating!
So keep your toys in the pram and we can all help each other out.
Be nice to rob, he’s a very busy decent guy.
If you fancy a chat about different set ups give me a bell one evening.
Saul
[emoji106]
  • Like 1