Electric pole maintenance issues

Unframed Dave

We own three plots within a larger wood. Two of the plots have poles in them. The whole wood is gated and padlocked. Couple of years ago, the arborists who look after the electric supplies around here contacted me and arranged to come in with a unimog cherry picker and do some trimming around the poles. Absolutely no problems. 

October 2020, we visited the woods and noticed our woods had been badly churned up by a four wheel drive, the ground was very wet. The tracks went in two directions from the internal road in the direction of the poles. 

I was a bit pissed off that no effort to contact us and that they had somehow got through the gate. The damage was fairly minor, but not a happy bunny. 

Anyway, yesterday we were clearing an area we hadn't previously been able to access and discovered a felled Ash. A rather large one at that. I know I haven't done it, and the age of the felling seems to coincide with the previous event. 

I'm quite surprised that this tree was felled in the direction of the power supply and can imagine some serious chuff clenching as it toppled directly towards the cables. 

Thoughts please. 

IMG_20210223_145651.jpg

IMG_20210223_145841.jpg

IMG_20210223_145507.jpg

IMG_20210223_145453.jpg

17 minutes ago, Unframed Dave said:

We own three plots within a larger wood. Two of the plots have poles in them. The whole wood is gated and padlocked. Couple of years ago, the arborists who look after the electric supplies around here contacted me and arranged to come in with a unimog cherry picker and do some trimming around the poles. Absolutely no problems. 

October 2020, we visited the woods and noticed our woods had been badly churned up by a four wheel drive, the ground was very wet. The tracks went in two directions from the internal road in the direction of the poles. 

I was a bit pissed off that no effort to contact us and that they had somehow got through the gate. The damage was fairly minor, but not a happy bunny. 

Anyway, yesterday we were clearing an area we hadn't previously been able to access and discovered a felled Ash. A rather large one at that. I know I haven't done it, and the age of the felling seems to coincide with the previous event. 

I'm quite surprised that this tree was felled in the direction of the power supply and can imagine some serious chuff clenching as it toppled directly towards the cables. 

Thoughts please. 

IMG_20210223_145651.jpg

IMG_20210223_145841.jpg

IMG_20210223_145507.jpg

IMG_20210223_145453.jpg

Not a forestry height stump !  Must be the utility's guy . 🤨 Seriously though , did they break any locks to get in or take the gate off its hinges ?  I would be contacting the boss and invite him out to take a look .

Edited by Stubby

Well, I've had two different arb companies do work clearing electric poles on my woods.

The first I wouldn't complain as I wanted as much cleared/felled as possible but the ability to simply fell a tree left a lot to be desired.

The 2nd team started off well in the fact they contacted me in advance and allowed me to spec the work. If I remember correctly they didn't give an exact date but turned up when they wanted which annoyed me a bit (it was bird nesting season).

So, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did fell the ash.

Do not have contact details from them? If not, you can contact the power line operator and talk to them. It would be worth making a note of the numbers on the poles you have.

They arb contractors do have the money to do the job properly so ensure they don't use heavy machinery if there may be dormice about for example.