Maximum possible reduction of large Oak

George01

Question

We have a stunning oak tree in our garden. The problem is, the oak tree is owned by the local authority and it is just not maintained. It is located about 8 metres from my house wall and hasn't been maintained since 2016 and I don't believe has been inspected since then either.

While it saddens me to do so I would like to submit a request to the local authority for the tree to be reduced as much possible as I know any other solution will be out of control again in a year or 2.

What would the maximum reduction be for this tree? Would pollarding be an option to reduce the height by ~50% and keep it tree like?

Tree.thumb.jpg.8bce6d2560bc67d93eb2248e3405f5cd.jpg

Edited by George01
Spelling and clarification

36 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s already been lightly pruned.

So why prune it again? Is it overhanging something or is the base in some way compromised or? Just playing devils advocate more than anything. If I was an LA TO I would ask why I should spend £400 or whatever it costs them to get this tree pruned. It doesn't benefit me as a TO, it doesn't benefit the tree, why should I do it? 

Edited by Paddy1000111

Thanks, I appreciate the comments and I do agree it is a lovely oak. In terms of why it was for more light, less leaves and prevention of branches growing over the house. Also, maybe naïve I thought that's what trees needed. Safety is a worry too with no inspections.

3 hours ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

PS Is the tree actually the Council's or is it that they control what can be done by a TPO (Tree Preservation Order.) If so, TPO's, the tree is 'yours', or shared ownership maybe, and all costs and liabilities remain with you as the owner (apologies if this is irrelevant.) 

It is in the Councils land (housing association house), there is no TPO and its not in a conservation area.

Thanks too for all of the suggestions, I'll start with requesting an inspection and take it from there. Hopefully the authority will do one but if not I will have one completed. 

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

So why prune it again? Is it overhanging something or is the base in some way compromised or? Just playing devils advocate more than anything. If I was an LA TO I would ask why I should spend £400 or whatever it costs them to get this tree pruned. It doesn't benefit me as a TO, it doesn't benefit the tree, why should I do it? 

Why prune it again? For the same reason it was pruned before.

(you are aware trees grow?)

Edited by Mick Dempsey

8 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Why prune it again? For the same reason it was pruned before.

(you are aware trees grow?)

well yes, but my question is, why? We don't prune trees for the sake of pruning them. The person wants a 50% reduction?! You will be lucky to get a 2m reduction, but, What's the reason? 😂

Edited by Paddy1000111

8 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

He answered it I believe, proximity to his house, light, ‘leaves’

The usual.

Maybe I read "house wall" and thought "garden wall"... Not really going to get anywhere with the council with a leaf issue. A light thin and a small reduction if you're lucky. My point still stands though, getting the council to do anything about it will take a good amount reason, so many posts on here about the council saying no. I've tried to get permission to work on a 40ft council owned tree (accessing from their side) in a AONB area and they did everything to stop it, all the client wanted was one small >6" branch removed as it was colliding with the acer she had in her garden and smashing it up in the wind and I got on well with that TO. Didn't help that the client had already tried to get it removed and they said no mind. You need a good reason for the work to be done. 

Edited by Paddy1000111

2 hours ago, George01 said:

Thanks, I appreciate the comments and I do agree it is a lovely oak. In terms of why it was for more light, less leaves and prevention of branches growing over the house. Also, maybe naïve I thought that's what trees needed. Safety is a worry too with no inspections.

It is in the Councils land (housing association house), there is no TPO and its not in a conservation area.

Thanks too for all of the suggestions, I'll start with requesting an inspection and take it from there. Hopefully the authority will do one but if not I will have one completed. 

A suggestion, as the primary beneficiary, if you are able, offer to fund the pruning, using the Council's preferred contractor, if they cannot justify expenditure. 

An inspection is a good idea and, at a basic level, can be undertaken by a competent Arborist/ tree surgeon...referring on to an experienced tree surveyor/inspector if required...hope fully the Council can/Will undertake this.

Regards..

Paul

Just goes to show why pruning is not good and a waste of time and money.. we now have a heavier denser crown on possibly week unions than if the tree had been left alone in the first place... it’s heavier prune being the main culprit.
Saying that a 35-40% reduction if done now and by some one who new what they where doing i suppose could hit decent targets and leave a good shape because of it so it’s not all bad!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

He answered it I believe, proximity to his house, light, ‘leaves’

The usual.

Thanks Mick, it is exactly those reasons with the proximity to house being key. 

6 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

A suggestion, as the primary beneficiary, if you are able, offer to fund the pruning, using the Council's preferred contractor, if they cannot justify expenditure. 

I have not long done just that and offered to fund the work. Hopefully, it will help the cause and I am more than happy to do so as we will benefit from it.

11 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Just goes to show why pruning is not good and a waste of time and money.. we now have a heavier denser crown on possibly week unions than if the tree had been left alone in the first place... it’s heavier prune being the main culprit.
Saying that a 35-40% reduction if done now and by some one who new what they where doing i suppose could hit decent targets and leave a good shape because of it so it’s not all bad!

35-40% would work perfectly for me.