In March last year, 192 hectares of the forest was accidentally burned

Stere

Just reading this and noticed:

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Forestry Commission accused of funding non-native plantations that damage peatlands and imperil rare species

Surprised that they was  a big forest fire in March?

Droughts causing more fires...

Edited by Stere

Here in NI at least, our dryest ground/undergrowth would be found from about mid Feb until mid March, when we get that biting drying cold wind from the East that sucks the moisture out of the dead vegetation and the surface of the sod, plus there is no new moist fresh greenery.

If I wanted to kindle a fire without importing kindling and using nothing but a single match to light it, that would be the time.

Not in the humid summer heat.

Mth

• Like 2

Late winter / early spring fires do not surprise me at all -  in recent years a fairly brief spell of dry, warm and windy weather as early as March have caused burning embers from chestnut brash fires to carry to leaf-laden coppice stools nearby, and before you know it a few minutes lack of attention lead to a lot of frantic foot stamping to put the damage out

• Like 1

Only once did I witness similar, but on a corking dry sunny May/June day, when I lit a bonfire a good few meters (10 to 15 ish)upwind of my substantial logpile, then the wind got up and the sparks flew.

There was a fosey rotten Spruce stump angled so as to be facing the Sun full on, and dammned near toasty dry as a result of the previous fine couple of days.

It kindled as nice as you like from a single spark, and would have started a fire in my reonably large woodpile except I misted the hose over it and the surrounding area.

Phew!

Edit;

Chestnutt burns very sparky dont it?

Edited by difflock

Just reading this and noticed:

2000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&overlay-align=bottom%2Cleft&overlay-width=100p&overlay-base64=L2ltZy9zdGF0aWMvb3ZlcmxheXMvdGctZGVmYXVsdC5wbmc&s=cabc0aabecfc768075eef3e4f73f3fcc WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM
Forestry Commission accused of funding non-native plantations that damage peatlands and imperil rare species  

Surprised that they was  a big forest fire in March?

Droughts causing more fires...

Saddleworth_moor_wildfire_2019.jpg EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG  

What a surprise , the guardian slagging off planting conifers .... again.

Isn't the plan of eco types to replant the Caledonian Forest so conifers but different ones.

But i suppose also oak and broadleafs etc in more lowlands areas...

Think Scotlands big enough for planting more of both plantations and the native stuff.

Edited by Stere