Huge Oak Fallen

geridam@aol.com

28 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Thank you  - what does 'mill' mean?

Those that do milling regularly will probably have a good idea of its worth by looking at it. But until it's milled, it's always a bit of a gamble. Not all tree surgeons mill, and some people only mill. So if you get hold of someone,  explain what you want to do, and take it from there

Are you completely sure the insurance, yours or the neighbors won't cover at least some of it? Sometimes they won't pay to remove the entire the tree but they will pay to replace the fence, shed etc. If part of the tree needs removing to replace the damaged shed or fence then they will pay for that, it's surprising how much that will cost. :)

Those that do milling regularly will probably have a good idea of its worth by looking at it. But until it's milled, it's always a bit of a gamble. Not all tree surgeons mill, and some people only mill. So if you get hold of someone,  explain what you want to do, and take it from there
There is no real worth in the tree until its milled and Milling is hard work and a gamble. Can't see any one knocking any money off the job for the potential income from Milling.
A but that size could potentially earn you 2k in milled timber but the work, time, space, investment etc etc make it worth as i said before beer to £150 erring on the side of beer.

13 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Are you completely sure the insurance, yours or the neighbors won't cover at least some of it? Sometimes they won't pay to remove the entire the tree but they will pay to replace the fence, shed etc. If part of the tree needs removing to replace the damaged shed or fence then they will pay for that, it's surprising how much that will cost. :)

I agree the cost of replacement fencing these days!!!  I think it would be worth asking as I always understood that yes they will not pay for tree clearance but when damage has happened to fences or property sheds etc then you are covered "leastways to some of the costs incurred", one of our old customers used to periodically get paid out when his 50 ft conifers used to take out the boundary fence of the local Rugby club 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

There is no real worth in the tree until its milled and Milling is hard work and a gamble. Can't see any one knocking any money off the job for the potential income from Milling.
A but that size could potentially earn you 2k in milled timber but the work, time, space, investment etc etc make it worth as i said before beer to £150 erring on the side of beer.

That's what I said, in a different way

We did a tree similar to this a couple of years ago. I think I put about £1000 on the job and I should have doubled it. Much more work than I bargained for the timber is still not fully dry and has been sat split and under cover in the yard ever since.

I was buff as hell for a week after though as the garden was not wheelbarrow friendly at all.

Live and learn.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, daveatdave said:
31 minutes ago, daveatdave said:

when the stump gets cut off it will fall back into the hole and will need grinding that's more expense 

If they go down that route (root 😂) there may well further expense in replanting / replacing the TPO tree too. 

Make it safe and retain ‘as is’ (if appropriate) would avoid costs associated with stump grinding, replanting and future TPO liabilities.