Evaporating Fuel / Aspen

Witterings

I only use my chainsaw at home for cutting up logs for wood burner so not that often and I'm losing more fuel through evaporation than I am running the saw and when it's Aspen at a premium cost it feels a bit like insult to injury.

It's still in the plastic container it came in and as I'd noticed it a couple of weeks ago tightened the lid down in case it was that but it's still happening.

Is this usual or is it just the container I'm keeping it in, wonder if it also happens with the fuel can for the lawnmower and also evaporating out of the mower itself but not quite so aggressively.

Was thinking of getting one of the Husky Combi 2 in 1 containers ... will that make any difference or does it just happen with all of them.

Gosh ... it must just be me ... had forgotten it also happened with one of these as well

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Spear and Jackson Ergonomic Tubular Carbon Steel Taper Mouth Shovel Spade. 2 Stroke Fuel Mixing Bottle. - This bottle enables you to mix as little as one litre of fuel with the proper...

Maybe I'm just not using it quick enough 😃

Both regular petrol and Aspen will slowly evaporate in most sealed plastic containers (so your not going mad!)

if you left a full can of Aspen in your shed for 5 years, you could lose 1 litre of fuel to evaporation (if not kept cool) but the fuel left would still work fine (wont go stale like regular petrol)

fuel will also evaporate faster inside machinery as the tanks and carburetor vent to the atmosphere.

I would be very surprised however if you think you are losing more fuel to evaporation than you are to burning it in your machines but maybe you are using your chainsaw extremely little.

Putting your fuel in a sealed steel container would slow down the rate of evaporation and keeping it in a cooler place will also help reduce evaporation. In reality however, the 5L Aspen can is more than suitable and so would a stihl combican (although dont expect it to reduce evaporation)

Whilst its a bummer to lose fuel to evaporation, it would suck a lot more to have to throw away stale fuel or to pay for carburetor repairs caused by stale fuel

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Aspen@AAOIL said:

Both regular petrol and Aspen will slowly evaporate in most sealed plastic containers (so your not going mad!)

if you left a full can of Aspen in your shed for 5 years, you could lose 1 litre of fuel to evaporation (if not kept cool) but the fuel left would still work fine (wont go stale like regular petrol)

fuel will also evaporate faster inside machinery as the tanks and carburetor vent to the atmosphere.

I would be very surprised however if you think you are losing more fuel to evaporation than you are to burning it in your machines but maybe you are using your chainsaw extremely little.

So it's not me going nuts ... it's "The Others" 😄  😃

I'm not a regular user .... tends to be a gap and then lots of use in a short space of time and them a gap again although I had a big operation in the latter part of last year so hadn't been near a saw for a while and whilst I've been convinced it happens for some time probably the extended break was what made it more noticeable.

Cheers for the input and believing me 😄 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 23/02/2021 at 11:42, Aspen@AAOIL said:

Apsen is my main fuel and chain oil so fed up of being given short measures, yesterday I took the matter up with my local supplier of Aspen.

Many containers of Aspen 2 have been coming in a 4.5litres and were packed in March 2022 and my dealer bought a pallet of 108 x 5 litre containers last summer 2022

This is the equivelant to losing 2.80 euros per container at full retail in France.

The statement I have before me from Aspen France states 500ml per year lost through the actual Aspen containers themselves WTF!

So much for punting it as a fuel that keeps long term if the evaporation rate is that high!

In addition, if your dealers sell a container advertised as 5litres but containing 4.5litres at the point of sale, surely this is an offence under under the U.K weights and measures act?

However, this is not limited to Aspen either.

Whilst in the local dealer, we weighed other brands pre-mixed fuel and all were significantly lighter than 5 litres (0.69kg per litre) plus container weight.

Today I picked up 3 fresh containers, this time with a white cap instead of a black one. They are packed March 2023 and contain a full 5 litres(held up to the light)

I have kept one of the March 2022 containers aside as a control having first weighed it as I am curious to see just how much more is lost over this Summer (stored in my garage)

Stuart

• Like 2

On 22/02/2021 at 18:21, Paddy1000111 said:

Those fuel mixing bottles leak like sieves! Leave it in the aspen bottle and it won't be an issue. If you want to get a can then I suggest the Stihl ones. They are very good quality, not heard the same about the husky cans

Mixing bottles aren't designed for actually storing fuel mix in hence why they 'leak like sieves' Had this 'complaint' probably no more than 3 times every year for the last god knows how many years.....and I sell 800 of them a year. It is a device for temporary storage whilst mixing small amounts for quick usage and/or for transferring into a machine

• Like 1