Chainsaw wellies: new old stock, out of date - safe to use?

carbs for arbs

Hi

Bit of an unfair question I guess, but I thought I'd see what you guys with experience think nonetheless....  

I'm hoping to have my first proper go with a chainsaw soon and so I've been buying in the PPE I need.  I bought a pair of chainsaw wellingtons which I did not realise until after buying are around 10 years old (i.e. 10 years since they were manufactured).  Apparently they should be discarded after 5 years from the date of manufacture.  

They are definitely new / unused and I imagine have been sat in the original box in a warehouse all this time.  Would you still follow the manufacturers' guidance and not use them, or do you think they'd be ok? 

Many thanks

7 hours ago, carbs for arbs said:

Hi

Bit of an unfair question I guess, but I thought I'd see what you guys with experience think nonetheless....  

I'm hoping to have my first proper go with a chainsaw soon and so I've been buying in the PPE I need.  I bought a pair of chainsaw wellingtons which I did not realise until after buying are around 10 years old (i.e. 10 years since they were manufactured).  Apparently they should be discarded after 5 years from the date of manufacture.  

They are definitely new / unused and I imagine have been sat in the original box in a warehouse all this time.  Would you still follow the manufacturers' guidance and not use them, or do you think they'd be ok? 

Many thanks

Instruments of torture .  Get some proper boots .

• Like 6

Instruments of torture .  Get some proper boots .

100%.
I was doing some felling in an incredibly wet woodlands years ago. Just poured with rain every day. Bought a pair to keep dry. Trench foot was more preferable so never wore them again !
  • Like 3

Chainsaw wellies are great for getting rid of verrucas.
Wear them for 3 x 14hr days
Your feet get so soft, just pulled the whole fecker out in one go.
Bit scarily large lump of white flesh peeled off. Big hole.
Never worn them again.
Get a pair of andrews.
[emoji106]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, carbs for arbs said:

I didn't know there was a life on boots, does it explicitly state so on your instructions? I'm aware helmets have a life.

As for their comfort, I'll agree with the others, not the most comfortable. A decent pair of long socks helps, I find they can chafe around the top as well as hurt your feet.

25 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Proper size, proper insoles, thick socks. Talcum powder your feet before you insert them in the wellies. Take off wellies when you finished working and change socks. Remove insoles and dry wellies at night, properly.

Just no ! 😁

• Like 2