Some grotty photos for you to look at (scored piston content)

Darkslider

54 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Worth a shot .

That's what I've told him in my reply, taking the exhaust off to examine the piston is a standard service procedure and not the massive stripdown fraught with danger he's making it out to be. Gives some insight in to how well he maintains his kit if that's his opinion.

I'd go so far as to say popping the exhaust off should be the very first thing you do if a poorly running saw is brought to you for a service, as it quickly tells you whether it's worth having money spending or parts fitted to it. I'd have considered myself a pretty useless mechanic if I'd rebuilt the carb , changed filters and a new plug and then found the piston damage when it still wasn't running right. 

• Like 3

Not disagreeing it sounds a dud. Just to point out the counter argument, people can buy a good saw and swap out the original parts they want, then send back for refund as eBay will probably favour the buyer in a ruling. This is why people put to refuse returns, and also possibly why they are wary of you taking it apart at all.

It's a minefield, especially as you don't know if they are genuinely naive or not very honest about the faults.

I've recently bought a saw off the bay after saying I never would again. Knackered oil pump, clutch bearing collapsed, air filter totally choked, chain on backwards, he gave me four chains as he said he kept replacing because he didn't know you could sharpen them. I reckon in my case the chap probably didn't know the faults, I've just taken the parts cost on the chin as not worth time arguing. Bit different to piston and cylinder though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Not disagreeing it sounds a dud. Just to point out the counter argument, people can buy a good saw and swap out the original parts they want, then send back for refund as eBay will probably favour the buyer in a ruling. This is why people put to refuse returns, and also possibly why they are wary of you taking it apart at all.

It's a minefield, especially as you don't know if they are genuinely naive or not very honest about the faults.

I've recently bought a saw off the bay after saying I never would again. Knackered oil pump, clutch bearing collapsed, air filter totally choked, chain on backwards, he gave me four chains as he said he kept replacing because he didn't know you could sharpen them. I reckon in my case the chap probably didn't know the faults, I've just taken the parts cost on the chin as not worth time arguing. Bit different to piston and cylinder though.

The thought had crossed my mind, if you had a knackered saw you could buy a not so knackered one and try and swap them if you were pond scum, the serial no. Is complete and legible still though so that should give him some comfort (assuming he made a note of it before posting the thing I suppose)

So I can see the counter argument and there's a chance it was sold in good faith, I'll just have to wait for the eBay ruling and if they find in his favour so be it, I'll have to make the best of being stuck with it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Darkslider said:

The thought had crossed my mind, if you had a knackered saw you could buy a not so knackered one and try and swap them if you were pond scum, the serial no. Is complete and legible still though so that should give him some comfort (assuming he made a note of it before posting the thing I suppose)

So I can see the counter argument and there's a chance it was sold in good faith, I'll just have to wait for the eBay ruling and if they find in his favour so be it, I'll have to make the best of being stuck with it.

My pal did run his ebay account as a business account even though he wasnt, ebay forced him to do so because he was selling so much of his deceased fathers stuff he opened a shop on there so it was easier to list, sort and keep an eye on. He put a good clean 084 on there and it sold for £600 plus £25 postage, 2 weeks later the buyer got in tough wanting to return it saying its bigger than he thought and was worried about using it (changed his mind) as a business and distance selling regulations he had to accept the return by law. The saw arrived back and it had done 2 weeks solid sawing, the guy who bought it had a free saw for 2 weeks and obviously got all his big logs cut up.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChrisNewport said:

My pal did run his ebay account as a business account even though he wasnt, ebay forced him to do so because he was selling so much of his deceased fathers stuff he opened a shop on there so it was easier to list, sort and keep an eye on. He put a good clean 084 on there and it sold for £600 plus £25 postage, 2 weeks later the buyer got in tough wanting to return it saying its bigger than he thought and was worried about using it (changed his mind) as a business and distance selling regulations he had to accept the return by law. The saw arrived back and it had done 2 weeks solid sawing, the guy who bought it had a free saw for 2 weeks and obviously got all his big logs cut up.

Conversely , Years ago I bought a 372XP from Canada paid for it but it never came to me . Seller said he had a signature to say it was received . ( yea , right )  . So I got 4/5ths of fcuk all and he got my money .   Went to leave neg feed back and what do you know ? .. No  longer a registered user .  So , sometimes scammers will sell you a lemon , get payment , close their account and then re open under another user name  . Rinse and repeat ...

• Sad 1

You would be surprised by most owners total disregard toward knowing how their machines work. As I said earlier, I get ALL sorts in and many have some major issues that will magically disappear if I port the machine!!! I find it unbelievable but there you go - how someone didn't hear a big end with 2mm up and down play God alone knows - you could see an impression of where the piston had hit the squish band on the cylinder!

I reckon the guy probably didn't know about it but knew something was a bit iffy with it.

eBay is likely to side with the buyer as that is what they do, bad for an honest seller but it is the beast eBay is.

The guy now knows what the issue is! 

The options are to strip the saw down and circa £85 will stick a new OEM top end on it...L&S have them in stock. Just get it leak down tested before using it or make sure the impulse and inlet boot are OK, the seals are pretty reliable TBH. The other option is to go back through eBay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

You would be surprised by most owners total disregard toward knowing how their machines work. As I said earlier, I get ALL sorts in and many have some major issues that will magically disappear if I port the machine!!! I find it unbelievable but there you go - how someone didn't hear a big end with 2mm up and down play God alone knows - you could see an impression of where the piston had hit the squish band on the cylinder!

I reckon the guy probably didn't know about it but knew something was a bit iffy with it.

eBay is likely to side with the buyer as that is what they do, bad for an honest seller but it is the beast eBay is.

The guy now knows what the issue is! 

The options are to strip the saw down and circa £85 will stick a new OEM top end on it...L&S have them in stock. Just get it leak down tested before using it or make sure the impulse and inlet boot are OK, the seals are pretty reliable TBH. The other option is to go back through eBay.

We're just back and forward with messages and he isn't willing to give an inch so I've suggested we just wait and see what eBay make of it. If I get stuck with it I'll probably replace the inlet boot, Impulse and fuel lines as a preventative measure as even if they haven't split 14 year old rubber can't be far off perishing.

Not the outcome I hoped for, the seller made sure he bleated on that 'you've taken it apart so not my problem' in every message and it looks like this is the only thing eBay have taken on board, not any of my well reasoned mechanical logic.

There's an option to appeal the decision but not sure it'll get anywhere. I should have taken some shots with the bore scope instead!

Screenshot_20210223-174321.png

'We're sorry you had a problem with your purchase. However, to return an item, it needs to be in the same condition that you received it.

After reviewing all the details of this case, we've determined that you won't receive a refund.'

The fact it is in exactly the same condition as I received it doesn't seem to matter. 

Cheers for all the comments anyhow!

Edited by Darkslider
  • Sad 2