Some grotty photos for you to look at (scored piston content)

Darkslider

19 minutes ago, spudulike said:

If you want them, offer to give a donation to a charity of their choice, explain that the saws have a good value and that you are happy to purchase at a good market value as you are concerned that someone less scrupulous than yourself may not be so open and honest with them. 

I can see the family getting offered a silly amount at a time when they need it and getting peanuts for them!!! 

Well i will be 100% honest here i offered 3.5k for all the new saws and i dont think i was being cheeky ? or was i ? it left me a bit on the bone, there is a lot of gear in this building but it has just been left as it was when his dad past away, even the ashtray has never been emptied, one day it will all get moved on or the son will start the business up again, they know the value of the saws machinery etc but money is not a problem for the family,

It is always the best way and was in no way saying you weren't. I was offered a tidy 064, gave the land owner my price explaining that I would need to give it a going over before selling on and said they could get a far better price selling it on eBay or to others but.....it came my way and sold it to a very good friend and it is his best saw. 

I got lucky on that one but gave the owner the option and the info to make a rational decision.

I guess you could ask if they would sell 1 or two rather than all of them but there is a very fine line between being decent and being pushy.....just hope they don't get done in the future!

Reply from the seller:

'Hi there The chain saw was starting fine and running fine as stated in the description before being packaged and posted The description states that there was a problem with the chain saw it states that (The chain saw starts and runs fine but sometimes it won’t tick over but will start straight back up with a pull it might it just needs tuning or a service ?) As described in the description it did start back up with a pull every time it cut out also it says IT MIGHT JUST NEED TUNING OR A SERVICE ? with a question mark This was meaning that I could be that problem or it could be something else I’m not a tool mechanic and cannot see the components inside a small engine that’s why that description was stated as it was As the pictures show you have sent you have taken the chain saw apart to get inside the engine to see those parts which are INSIDE the engine and could not be seen from the outside without taking the chain saw apart into loads of bits As I’ve said you’ve taken the chain saw apart into bits to get those pictures and how would I know if it was put back together correctly ? or if bits have been changed on the saw even seals and gaskets would have been broken when the saw was being taken apart ? In my opinion I’ve been honest with the description I’ve stated Kind regards'

I can't make my mind up, on the one hand I think maybe he's being honest and had no idea, but on the other I just can't see how this saw would have run anything like 'brilliant with loads of power' with a piston in this state. Maybe because it made the same power as his mates MS150T he thought it was alright 🤔

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Had a look on the ebay posting,  they have good feed back, possibly he was being honest  on the sale but that saw definately shagged, mate  😔  K

Do you think because these are pretty powerful in good fettle it would still cut decently even with a knackered piston? Should I offer to keep it for the cost of a pot and piston perhaps as I knew I'd have to spend a little bit on it on other parts? 🤔

Awkward situation, been there a few times, never found a satisfactory way out of it. Looks like it will end up with ebay making a ruling if you pursue it. The seller's stance is clearly that youve messed with it (taken it apart) and its a valid point. Exhaust off isnt anything out of he ordinary to us but its ebay we're talking about...

I dont think there is any merit pursuing a knackered piston approach. Aside from obvious compression issue,  its relatively high tune of engine - timings need to be accurate for this saw to run well and inlet timing (controlled by piston skirt) will be out of wack with that level of damage. The cylinder is most likely gone too (scored rings) but you never know, you might get lucky.

The part refund thing might work but could just as easily backfire - its like you're accepting you are keeping the saw (to seller and to ebay).

I dont have a real answer to the situation, sorry.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bmp01 said:

Awkward situation, been there a few times, never found a satisfactory way out of it. Looks like it will end up with ebay making a ruling if you pursue it. The seller's stance is clearly that youve messed with it (taken it apart) and its a valid point. Exhaust off isnt anything out of he ordinary to us but its ebay we're talking about...

I dont think there is any merit pursuing a knackered piston approach. Aside from obvious compression issue,  its relatively high tune of engine - timings need to be accurate for this saw to run well and inlet timing (controlled by piston skirt) will be out of wack with that level of damage. The cylinder is most likely gone too (scored rings) but you never know, you might get lucky.

The part refund thing might work but could just as easily backfire - its like you're accepting you are keeping the saw (to seller and to ebay).

I dont have a real answer to the situation, sorry.  

Yup, one of those situations where there's no winners I'd wager. I suppose it'll come down to eBay making a judgement as we're obviously not going to agree.

I did reply stating that 'you've taken the saw apart' is an exaggeration, all I've done is pop the exhaust off and there's even a viewing port in the bottom of the casing designed to let you examine the piston, something that would have been done during a routine service by any half decent tech. Judging by the state of it though I don't think the saw has had anything amounting to a full service for some time. 

Cheers for everyone's input so far, massively appreciated and reassuring to hear I'm not being unreasonable or unrealistic in my expectations to be honest. 

Hes pulling your leg, let ebay decide the outcome. Big mistake sending him pictures of it apart though. When ebay ask for evidence or somewhere you can write about the case, state that parts needed to be removed to service like it was stated in the sellers description of needing a service and its then it exposed the saw as fit for the scrap.

Edited by ChrisNewport
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ChrisNewport said:

Hes pulling your leg, let ebay decide the outcome. Big mistake sending him pictures of it apart though. When ebay ask for evidence or somewhere you can write about the case, state that parts needed to be removed to service like it was stated in the sellers description of needing a service and its then it exposed the saw as fit for the scrap.

Worth a shot .