What state would you pick??

If you could pick any state in the United States as a climber what would be your favorite state to climb in and why? Ill start with my own answer. I live in West Virginia and this would also be my pick because of the large diversity in tree species keeping never a dull moment as a climber. But i do have an attraction to some southern trees. I have never climbed a live oak and that is something that drives my love to climb crazy!! 

Hi Arborspective,
In my experiences working within the urban environment, and vacations around England and Wales, I don’t think that there is a massive variation of species in the different parts of Britain.
I’m in Cambridgeshire about 60miles North of London and the common species are Leylandii & Lawson Cypress’s, Sycamore & Maples, Robinia & Gleditsia, Beech, Oaks (English, sessile, turkey, red), Horse Chestnut, Eucalyptus, Ash, Yew and Silver Birch.
We generally get the warmer/dryer weather in the South-East so you also see a lot of Cordyline and Trackycarpus in gardens.
Not a tree but the thing I hate most is Bamboo, and people that grow climbing rose and vines up trees.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Hi Arborspective,
In my experiences working within the urban environment, and vacations around England and Wales, I don’t think that there is a massive variation of species in the different parts of Britain.
I’m in Cambridgeshire about 60miles North of London and the common species are Leylandii & Lawson Cypress’s, Sycamore & Maples, Robinia & Gleditsia, Beech, Oaks (English, sessile, turkey, red), Horse Chestnut, Eucalyptus, Ash, Yew and Silver Birch.
We generally get the warmer/dryer weather in the South-East so you also see a lot of Cordyline and Trackycarpus in gardens.
Not a tree but the thing I hate most is Bamboo, and people that grow climbing rose and vines up trees.

So we have some similar species. I would love to come check out london and get some climbing in there. Here the daily trees you would find yourself in is (white oaks, red oaks, shag bark hickory, pignut hickory, black cherry, black walnut, Siberian elm, American and slippery elm, and then your array of nasty pines! Favorite tree to climb is white oak and least favorite is shag bark hickory or any tree with vines. Very little urban tree work done here since this is WV its pretty rural and usually always woodsy trees untouched by man leaving never a dull moment.