Timber cladding and planning

Squaredy

I would really like to clad the South West of my house with timber, mainly to help keep the weather off.

I am unsure whether I might need planning for this.   I live in a village near Newport (South Wales) and it is not a conservation area or listed building.

If it was totally rural I wouldn't think twice but as it is a street of brick houses it will look a bit different.  A new build house round the corner has fake wooden cladding which is similar in appearance, so I wouldn't be the first.

Does anyone know if this is something that could need planning or is it totally up to me?

Slightly ambiguous but as long as the cladding is of similar appearance permission is not needed.  Well the appearance will not quite be the same - rough cast to be clad with timber.  I could of course ask the local planning authority but I am sure they will err on the side of caution.

10 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Slightly ambiguous but as long as the cladding is of similar appearance permission is not needed.  Well the appearance will not quite be the same - rough cast to be clad with timber.  I could of course ask the local planning authority but I am sure they will err on the side of caution.

Is it within keeping of what is in the area gav 

8 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Is it within keeping of what is in the area gav 

Well that is a matter of opinion.  It will look slightly different of course, mainly my neighbours are brick and rough cast, but just round the corner are two houses with similar cladding to what I want to apply.

5 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Well that is a matter of opinion.  It will look slightly different of course, mainly my neighbours are brick and rough cast, but just round the corner are two houses with similar cladding to what I want to apply.

If others close by with same sort of thing crack on. It is not a planning requirement anyway but one thing they do look for is within keeping so to speak.Your no where near national parks so fall under the general welsh planning/building regs 

My guess is that you won't need planning [not in a conservation area] - but a quick chat with the planning officer [or a good local builders as per Nepia, above] will confirm this.  A double-check that there are no covenants on the house preventing a 'change of look', would be wise too.

However, you may well need to get everything signed-off by building control.  Cladding of any sort is a hot topic because of the awful repercussions of Grenfell.

That cladding may also need to be treated with 'fireproofing'. 

And you may well need to let your insurance company know.