What hardwoods do you have in the UK?

One of the things my youngest had to do as part of lockdown homeschooling was find as many of the common species of trees in our immediate area. Within 200 yards of the house we found 17 of the 24 species!  Quite a lot of diversity for a small area. 

DE65B022-12B5-46E8-8287-3AE13EBA51FD.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav73 said:

One of the things my youngest had to do as part of lockdown homeschooling was find as many of the common species of trees in our immediate area. Within 200 yards of the house we found 17 of the 24 species!  Quite a lot of diversity for a small area. 

DE65B022-12B5-46E8-8287-3AE13EBA51FD.jpeg

We've got 13 or those in our garden, possibly more. 

• Like 1

Bugs have killed many of our white and green ashes and american elm. We've got a few oaks, mostly white and red, apple, cherry, willow, horse chestnut, blue beech (which I call elephant foot), hop hornbeam or ironwood, 6 maples including NA sycamore. We have the odd hawthorn

Prized black walnut for live edge tables

white poplar/ Aspen, white, silver and gray birch, linden/ basswood, all related

Also black locust and honey locust

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Bugs have killed many of our white and green ashes and american elm. We've got a few oaks, mostly white and red, apple, cherry, willow, horse chestnut, blue beech (which I call elephant foot), hop hornbeam or ironwood, 6 maples including NA sycamore. We have the odd hawthorn
Prized black walnut for live edge tables

white poplar/ Aspen, white, silver and gray birch, linden/ basswood, all related
Also black locust and honey locust

Do you guys still have those timber wagons where the whole rear end is like a bogie only connected to the tractor unit via the timber it’s hauling? i used to spend 6 months a year up in Timmins doing the cold weather testing, ontario... great place great people [emoji106]