Sycamore split logs have green fuzzy mould

LumberJack1984

Thank you to all for your experience and tips! 
I’ll have a go storing it properly,

keeping that rain off! 
and stacking it not so neatly this time ....

All makes a lot of sense everyone.
and was a joy to split some rounds of that sycamore about 40cm diameter and up to 60/80cm tall.

- and would be such a shame to get rid of it all. 
Much appreciated 

8 hours ago, LumberJack1984 said:

Thank you to all for your experience and tips! 
I’ll have a go storing it properly,

keeping that rain off! 
and stacking it not so neatly this time ....

All makes a lot of sense everyone.
and was a joy to split some rounds of that sycamore about 40cm diameter and up to 60/80cm tall.

- and would be such a shame to get rid of it all. 
Much appreciated 

Being in the East Midlands too, I know how very wet it has been these last two years.  Very hard to dry anything and the yard here is like the Somme.  I had some green mould on some Oak logs I posted some time ago which I thought were Elm and queried whether it was the DED fungus coming out until someone corrected me.

Edited by Billhook

2 hours ago, sime42 said:
15 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:
I get stoats in mine.

I've had bloody rats living in one of my stacks. Droppings and rubbish everywhere. Smells too. Rank creatures.

When I get round to building a decent sized woodstore I intend to raise the bottom a foot or so off the ground, not just for good air circulation but to try and reduce the amount of vermin. We occasionally get rats and mice, although I mostly tend to find the odd remains of something I assume the stoat has feasted on.

When I get round to building a decent sized woodstore I intend to raise the bottom a foot or so off the ground, not just for good air circulation but to try and reduce the amount of vermin. We occasionally get rats and mice, although I mostly tend to find the odd remains of something I assume the stoat has feasted on.
Reckon you're far better off with your stoats if the eat the filthy rats and mice!
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

Being in the East Midlands too, I know how very wet it has been these last two years. 

I think it's been wet everywhere this year. Technically I live on the edge of a rain forest (temperate) and it's certainly lived up to that over the last 6-9 months.

Most logs will go mouldy round here unless stacked well. I've got a pile of oak that's completely covered in moss in about 12 months.

Going back to the OP, if mould is a concern then ash seems to be the least susceptible although I've even got ash with a huge flush of turkey tail.

• Like 1

I hate sycamore - invasive, non native, grows too quickly and blocks out the light for all the other small trees and wood floor. 

Really hate views like this ... currently working in a forest school trying to sort out ash with die back .. the only tree that is here because some bright spark has felled all the sycamore planted at the same time I guess because they carried this view... there won’t be a forest school here in two years time because of this blind view that sycamore is invasive and non native.. I can think of so many plantations that I have worked in and been instructed to fell all sycamore over the last 20 years and they now they will have nothing.. sycamore in my view is an amazing and beautiful tree! Makes great fire wood and seasons fast.
I don’t agree with it being non native either...if it’s been here since 1500’s
Probably the most iconic tree locally to me tooIMG_4527.jpg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1