Hedge fund

peds

Question

Yo what up dudes,

Anyone want to pluck a number out of their arse for me?

What would you be looking to quote for taking out 100m of overgrown agricultural hedge; goat willow, ash, holly, hawthorn, gorse, bramble; 4-6m high the length of it, a few of the ash and willow up to 10m. Anything for firewood left in heaps, all chip dropped further up the lane on site. Sheep wire and barbed wire embedded in some of the bigger stems.

Humour me, we are building a house and improving this lane is the first step, we'll try and keep a tally of what we spend, and what we save by doing it ourselves. You never know, if I save us enough cash I might get a bonus from the wife.

100m of the hedge on the left there.

Cheers all.

20210209_144427.jpg

13 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Get a tractor flail in for the day.
emoji106.png

I want the chip in a neat little pile next to the future shed,  thanks, not scattered across the laneway we are resurfacing.

The job is half done by now, I'm just looking for a rough idea of what I can invoice my wife for.

I've done that kind of cut into a field where everything was picked up by telehandler and put in a big heap, I was actually surprised by how much I cut in a day. Found a photo below, was cutting back everything hanging out of the hedge on the right but it was overgrown to small trees. This is the pile by lunchtime, just me cutting.

I think trouble if there's wire and you plan to chip then you have to sort the wire out and that will slow the whole thing down a hell of a lot. Also, is that a telegraph pole? Trees around the wire or below?

Reckon a couple of days if you had a big fire, plus time to burn it of course.PSX_20210217_213411.jpeg

• Like 2

The wire has been snipped out and is in a heap by the gate, waiting to go to scrap. Obviously the bits embedded in the trees are still there, and are being cut around, with the worst bits being replaced after the new hedge is planted,  in the name of habitat creation.

Six telegraph poles in total, they are the future shed. The trees were growing in and around the wire, most of them are down now. I've been at it about 5 days now, I reckon I've got another 5 to go. 

No burning, anything too much of a ball-ache to send through my adorable little pocket chipper (hawthorn, mostly) is going to be snippedand shredded, by hand, back on top of the new berm after the laneway has been widened, to help build the new soil. All 100m will probably take another full day. 

We'll not be buying firewood or woodchip... it's literally growing out of the ground, right there. We are aiming for a zero waste, self sufficient, home-grown sort of approach, dig?

Edited by peds

2 minutes ago, peds said:

The wire has been snipped out and is in a heap by the gate, waiting to go to scrap. Six telegraph poles in total, they are the future shed. The trees were growing in and around the wire, most of them are down now. I've been at it about 5 days now, I reckon I've got another 5 to go. 

No burning, anything too much of a ball-ache to send through my adorable little pocket chipper (hawthorn, mostly) is going to be snippedand shredded, by hand, back on top of the new berm after the laneway has been widened, to help build the new soil. All 100m will probably take another full day. 

We'll not be buying firewood or woodchip... it's literally growing out of the ground, right there. We are aiming for a zero waste, self sufficient, home-grown sort of approach, dig?

Yes i dig. Great if you have time and energy to spare

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stere said:

How are you planning to deal with all the roots/stumps ?

We've bought a narrow strip of land in the adjacent field so we can widen the track by about 1.5m all the way down. I have a fella coming with an excavator to flatten the current berm into the old drain in the field next door, and dig out a new drain, the earth of which will be piled up between lane and drain to build a new berm, and we'll be tapping new fenceposts in on the way back down.

So I'm hoping most of the stumps will get dropped into the old drain and buried, and some of them will be able to sit in the berm or on top of it, for habitat creation, and to rot down into the soil and provide precious nutrients for the new hedge. The biggest ones that can't be left where they are will be carried up to where my chickens will live, again for habitat creation for chicken food. They'll be thrilled.
I also have one really good sized bit of goat willow which is big enough to try and carve a little 2-seat bench out of when on its side. There's sheep wire embedded on one side, so I'm not bothered about adding it to the immense pile of firewood.

• Like 1