Pandemic positives

Mark Bolam

Have read the cloud spotters guide again recently (great book) and enjoyed having time to just sit quietly watching the world. Spent hours looking at the activity round bird feeders, the weather etc.

It's been good for the dog too, more time in the warm house instead of being out all the time during winter has benefited his old bones.

• Like 1

The clear sky's of the first lockdown were amazing with no contrails . Honestly never seen them like that even as a kid. 
This might be controversial to some but I'd welcome seeing more of that in future. Obviously we're never going to get the lack of contrails that we saw in Lockdown, but I'm sure a big reduction would be possible and very much needed. The less exotic holidays and business travel the better IMO, for various reasons.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sime42 said:
34 minutes ago, Woodworks said:
The clear sky's of the first lockdown were amazing with no contrails . Honestly never seen them like that even as a kid. 

This might be controversial to some but I'd welcome seeing more of that in future. Obviously we're never going to get the lack of contrails that we saw in Lockdown, but I'm sure a big reduction would be possible and very much needed. The less exotic holidays and business travel the better IMO, for various reasons.

We’ve proved that most ‘business’ business can be done online. No need to fly to Germany for a meeting. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Retired Climber said:

I'm not sure you've got the hang of this 'positive comments only' thread. 😉

Although I retired from climbing, I'm a long way off being retired. I'm an opportunist, and this opportunity is worth grabbing with both hands.

Whilst I feel for those less fortunate, I've worked bloody hard to be in the position in which I find myself now, so make no apologies for the privileged position in which I find myself during this 'situation'. 

I get you. I’m similar. But have a little compassion, and imagine if this had hit you just as you opened your first barbers salon. Which you had worked bloody hard on. 

I admitted in my first post that I’d had more than my fair share of dumb luck this pandemic. The ones hit the worst by this will be the go-getters in a different industry- through no fault of their own. 

• Like 2

Not having to shake hands or faire les bisous (kissing on the cheeks) with people I barely know.
Not going into peoples houses when I’m quoting.

At least a trip through the house on the quote will inform you whether the tea/coffee will be drinkable during the job..

• Haha 1

My family has discovered local walks we never thought of being enjoyable before, we have discovered the country side around our home and climbed all the hills we can see that for 16 years before of living in the hills I have always thought were not possible to enjoy, before covid we would usually drive to the local not so hilly park ,canals ect for walks. 

Also I have had to give up smoking as I am too tight to pay UK shop prices after having duty free smoke for as long as i can remember... thanks to Covid I cannot go on my holidays to get it and neither my parents who usually go 3 times a year and bring it back for me...Tried 1 fake baky pouch and that was enough for me to stop, vaping now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sime42 said:
4 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Until a fortnight ago we lived 20 mins drive from Gatwick: the silence last March was deafening and has barely changed since - wonderful.

On the subject of contrails and as a slight aside... I may have the exact numbers wrong but I read that when all flying was banned over the States after 9/11 the average day/night temperature difference increased by 4C.  That's massive in a such a short time.

• Like 3