Pandemic positives

Mark Bolam

41 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

In 3 words.

Bounce Back Loan 😀

Yup. That and a discount off our house purchase at the start of lockdown as we were one of few with a mortgage approval in place. 

sheer, dumb luck. Right place at right time. I do feel for others not so fortunate. 

• Like 1

Great idea for a thread this, nice one. It's about time we focused on some positive aspects of this big old mess. They may be few but they are there.

With an 18 month old little lad and his mother back at work full time after 12 months I've not exactly had more time available to do useful stuff around the house and garden! Much less actually. I have however spent far more time with him than I would otherwise have done in normal years. It's been really nice, if hard work at times. Important for bonding at his age I think.

This was only the case for the first and only real Lockdown. The positive impact on the environment was lovely to see, one of the best aspects for me. Nature really seemed to bounce back with the massive reduction in filthy, polluting, annoying traffic. Also for us as humans; it was so much more pleasant walking and cycling around quiet roads. Makes you realise how much cars have come to dominate our lives, in lots of adverse ways.

As a result of barely leaving the house and having very few places to go anyway, we've been doing a lot more walks around the local area. That's been really nice.

Lockdown as an excuse to not do things, mainly social things. I've definitely enjoyed that!

Again, more during the first Lockdown. It was a real booster for building community spirit. Something sadly lacking normally. (I'd argue that in part that's a consequence of cars and too much busy traffic). There was a WhatsApp group set up on our road to help support those that needed it. First time I'd spoken to most of our neighbours. It's proved to be a good way of sharing local information.

Money wise we've probably spent a bit less but not much. The ease of online shopping has almost counteracted the savings of not going out!

Lack of physical human contact is bloody tough. I'm dying be be able to hug my mum again, and for her to hug her little grandson. It's also sad that he can't play and bond with his cousins, looking forward to the time when he safely can.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

2020 was the best year of my life.

Income increased massively.

I work from home, and so does my Mrs so we shared the office and the childcare. Our girls are 2 and 4 so they don't go to school yet. We have a decent sized garden so spent a lot of time messing about outside. 

I didn't go shopping once. 

I didn't have to see people I'd rather not see, and didn't even need an excuse. 

More lock downs, bring it on. 

Whilst I appreciate how good it has been for you (and countless retirees), I personally am not willing to let your (presumably well off, middle class) voices calling for more lockdowns (ostensibly to ‘save the nhs’) drown out the voices of those suffering. We can’t go on like this. The critically vulnerable are now vaccinated. The mildly vulnerable are now well on their way. Soon as that’s done, that’s it as far as I am concerned. Lockdown over. Let the poor ****************ers who already owe a years rent arrears get their lives back on track. 

If they drag this out any longer, I will be at the front of any riots. 😂

Edited by doobin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, doobin said:

Whilst I appreciate how good it has been for you (and countless retirees), I personally am not willing to let your (presumably well off, middle class) voices calling for more lockdowns (ostensibly to ‘save the nhs’) drown out the voices of those suffering. We can’t go on like this. The critically vulnerable are now vaccinated. The mildly vulnerable are now well on their way. Soon as that’s done, that’s it as far as I am concerned. Lockdown over. Let the poor ****************ers who already owe a years rent arrears get their lives back on track. 

If they drag this out any longer, I will be at the front of any riots. 😂

I'm not sure you've got the hang of this 'positive comments only' thread. 😉

Although I retired from climbing, I'm a long way off being retired. I'm an opportunist, and this opportunity is worth grabbing with both hands.

Whilst I feel for those less fortunate, I've worked bloody hard to be in the position in which I find myself now, so make no apologies for the privileged position in which I find myself during this 'situation'. 

• Like 6

House and garden never so good. Sorted out shed. Anything I hadn’t used for 20 years got thrown out. Sorted and arranged all my tools.. no longer buying something I know I’ve got cos I can’t find the original. Less income offset by a much more quiet time at work. Bought a telescope and a drone, two things I’d been putting off for years.

Enjoyed the community spirit of the first lockdown

• Like 1

House and garden never so good. Sorted out shed. Anything I hadn’t used for 20 years got thrown out. Sorted and arranged all my tools.. no longer buying something I know I’ve got cos I can’t find the original. Less income offset by a much more quiet time at work. Bought a telescope and a drone, two things I’d been putting off for years.
Enjoyed the community spirit of the first lockdown
Telescope to find the drone when you lose it?! [emoji12]
  • Haha 2

Been a great time to reassess personal finances and cut down on all the waste.

Saving stacks of time and money not going to tescos, all done online now. Try and buy local fresh produce wherever I can, usually on my walks from peoples little veg stands (often take a rucksack with me)

Done wonders for the tip site directory with so many people working on their gardens etc. Its literally never ever been so easy to find somewhere to offload woodchip.

Having to deal with people less is also nice. Quite enjoy living in my own little bubble in the countryside. 

• Like 3