Pandemic positives

Mark Bolam

The last year has been a bit of a test, so I thought I’d start a thread to highlight any positives that have come out of the Covid situation.

I have got a few.

I’ve got three young girls, 9 and 6 year old twins, and it’s occurred to me I will never see them this much again.

Not working 6 day weeks has helped me get to know them more (they are bloody hard work!).

Homeschooling has forced me to revisit some long-forgotten basic maths and English skills.

Money in has been less, but by Christ! so has money out! Made us realise how much we were frittering on takeaways and needless crap.

Cooking skills improved, usually with more locally produced stuff, and the girls really getting to grips with cooking.

Niggly injuries improved, not beasting yourself day in-day out has really helped.

Dogs (and cat) have had a pretty good year.

Catching up with old Uni mates on Zoom etc., probably seen some ugly faces more in the last year than I have in the last two decades.

Mainly it’s taught me to appreciate the little things a bit more, and that how much I miss human interaction, especially physical, handshakes, back-slaps and hugs.

Haven't seen Mam for a year now, looking forward to that day like you wouldn’t believe.

Obviously the negatives list is too long to fit on the internet, but I wondered if others had found any light in all this bloody darkness?

Positive vibes only please! 

• Like 24

I’ve no kids, but same as you Mark, learned to do more things at home, not spend on pointless crap, appreciate the people closest to me a bit more, being single is prob the biggest downside as cant have any interaction, only with work colleagues and my dad mainly cos hes my “bubble” person. Hes on his own and has underlying health issues, so shop for him quite often. Really miss my pooch for the home comfort side of things too after losing her last year.

• Like 3

2020 was the best year of my life.

Income increased massively.

I work from home, and so does my Mrs so we shared the office and the childcare. Our girls are 2 and 4 so they don't go to school yet. We have a decent sized garden so spent a lot of time messing about outside. 

I didn't go shopping once. 

I didn't have to see people I'd rather not see, and didn't even need an excuse. 

More lock downs, bring it on. 

• Like 6

At the beginning of all this I was most worried for my dad. Reckoned the best way to get him through it all this was to get him as fit as possible. He used to do a little walk each day but nothing much. I started going out with him on his walks most days and encouraged him to go little bit further each time. He now does 2-3 miles most days which is not too bad for man in his late 80s. Also got to know him better as we have never really been close.

Works been good as everyone wanted charcoal when restrictions were eased and we were encouraged to meet up outside. Then this winter everyone is stuck in so log sales have been nuts. There was and is still is demand for everything local and long may that last.

It may have always been there but there is great community spirit with everyone looking out for each other. Asked an old boy down the road if he needed weekly shopping doing and he said "no need as I have had four offers of help" 

First lockdown was a mountain bikers dream with completely empty roads and moors. 

Favourite sport of windsurfing requires traveling out of our local area so taken up running again and really enjoying it. Also running with the better half which has been fun

All things considered really cant complain 

• Like 6

It's all what you make of it. I miss my visits to friends, seeing my sister from Oz 3/4 times a year. Having spent nearly 30 years at sea and working on ships before coming into the forestry industry I'm used to isolation and just try to make the best of it. Even though I'm disabled and vulnerable my health is better than it has been for 3/4 years. Spaniels are well fit and happy, roast dinner 4 days a week, any surplus goes to aforesaid Spaniels 😁 Life is not so bad, could be better but hey ho, isn't that always the way.

Toodle Pip

Ps I've also lost a stone in weight and  3 inches of me waist😊

Edited by roboted
Addition
  • Like 5

In the first lockdown, probably the only proper lockdown, the roads were dead, it was surreal. Like something from a movie. We never stopped working, so was great traveling on empty roads. We had a few road side jobs, they were a dream with no traffic.

• Like 5

My garden never looked better last year, did lots of decorating that we never got round to. Spring and Summer were great, cooking barbeques with my girls every night. Bought a bike and was able to go out and do some miles on that. Cant wait for warmer weather again

• Like 1