Why a wrist thickness anchor point?

ANK

Returning to the main topic, the advice I’d give is some 2” stuff is stronger than some 6” stuff and it comes down to way more than just size. It’s species and how you load it. Think of tying high into topped Lombardy poplar regrowth then transferring into another tree. Could be a 6” stem at the tie in but it’s a long lever on a probably weak knuckle.

If you want to get a particularly high or particularly convenient tie in and you’re questioning the strength, think of it more like a rigging problem. A double rope can go through more than one crotch, like loading both sides of a Y. Single rope tie ins give you loads of options. I very often redirect, fishing pole, wrap etc to get a convenient dangling point that won’t matter if it breaks because the point would just slip back to the last redirect/union/sling/whatever. Obviously keep an eye on it but look to invest time setting it up well so you can work confidently from it throughout the day.

I can’t remember having a tie in point break, which means either I’ve not had one break or it wasn’t scary enough to remember because I built it with redundancy in mind.

Cheers for the replies people. I’ve been climbing a while so I’m not asking out of concern about the strength of the anchor points. It all comes back to a previous post about using rope access equipment in tree work.

In rope access anchors have to be rated to 12kn minimum which is easily done in an urban environment but I wondered if any testing had been done on the anchors we use day to day.

If I can show that our anchor points can withstand a 12kn fall then I’m one step closer to being able to use a Petzl ASAP as a fall arrest In Tree work

I have got to be honest I usually go around two wrist sizes or maybe the size of a right handed person forearm who’s climbed on a Prussic for years ....unless it’s a redirect ,I’ve always had a massive fear of my anchor point braking and that’s not helped since getting over 40 with a few more pounds ... I’m hardly the 9stone little whippet I was when I started climbing at 16.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cheers for the replies people. I’ve been climbing a while so I’m not asking out of concern about the strength of the anchor points. It all comes back to a previous post about using rope access equipment in tree work.  

In rope access anchors have to be rated to 12kn minimum which is easily done in an urban environment but I wondered if any testing had been done on the anchors we use day to day.

If I can show that our anchor points can withstand a 12kn fall then I’m one step closer to being able to use a Petzl ASAP as a fall arrest In Tree work

I’m afraid that my prevailing position must therefore most cordially revert to that of my first post in this thread.

Seriously though. Some clipboard enthusiast who can’t satisfy a woman will read this in business hours and we’ll all need to buy load cells.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I’m afraid that my prevailing and most prevalent position must therefore most cordially revert to that of my first post in this thread.

Seriously though. Some clipboard enthusiast will read this in business hours and we’ll all need to buy load cells.

Hahaha. I know what you mean. I never thought I’d spend my spare time finding out about wrist thickness anchors but legislation can be a pain and in this case it is.