Force of a 250mm fall

ANK

1 minute ago, Khriss said:

Pointed out to me by my physio that pull starting yr saw several times is equivalent to dislocating yr shoulder - mind that coffee table when you jump.... 😉  K

Panic over Khriss. I rushed down to Chateau Dempsey. He's fine, I managed to talk him down off the sofa. I've made him hot cocoa and tucked him up in bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, David Cropper said:

Panic over Khriss. I rushed down to Chateau Dempsey. He's fine, I managed to talk him down off the sofa. I've made him hot cocoa and tucked him up in bed. 

...... Oh, but is that coffee table still ok thou, it was a good one  🙁 K

Am I right in saying the furthest theoretical fall (assuming you stuck to all the rules) is 750mm? You can have 500mm of slack in your climbing equipment and you can climb 250mm above your anchor? If you fell you would fall 250mm to the anchor and then 500mm past that. 

Assuming a climber weighs 90kg and falls 750mm then the velocity at stop is 3.83 m/s. Which gives us a kenetic energy of 661.5J but that's not useful so as open space man says you need to know how far the climber falls once stopped or his deceleration. It's quite different depending on length:

50mm  = 13230N or 13.230kn

100mm= 6615N or 6.615kn

200mm= 3307N or 3.307kn

The distance you fall is all down to how springy your equipment is, how static your ropes are and how hard your anchor is. I would suggest maybe 50-75mm would be a good distance on 500mm of rope? 

Edited by Paddy1000111

25 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Am I right in saying the furthest theoretical fall (assuming you stuck to all the rules) is 750mm? You can have 500mm of slack in your climbing equipment and you can climb 250mm above your anchor? If you fell you would fall 250mm to the anchor and then 500mm past that.

Is it not just 500mm max.

250mm above anchor, giving 500mm of slack to fall in to