Force of a 250mm fall

ANK

Anyone know how much force is generated on the anchor point from a 250mm fall?

I know there are a lot of factors that come into play like climbers weight, but I’d imagine there have been some tests done, I just can’t find them.

Cheers!

26 minutes ago, ANK said:

Anyone know how much force is generated on the anchor point from a 250mm fall?

I know there are a lot of factors that come into play like climbers weight, but I’d imagine there have been some tests done, I just can’t find them.

Cheers!

It depends on how suddenly the falling object is arrested, if there is some flex in the system the force is less than a sudden stop.

The terminal velocity from that drop is time=0.5gt^2 so ~0.2 sec  acceleration is gt so about 2m/sev

Force on the system =mass times deceleration so the faster the stop the higher the loading

• Like 1

I guess if you jump off a 250mm wall and keep your legs locked you will feel the jolt all the way up your spine.

but it c/would be worse if your were to fall  and your harness was to stop you as you fall backwards, so that force you felt up your spine when you jump off locked legs, would be bending your back (wards) even more than it would like to go.😬

Edited by Wonky
Auto correct 🤦‍♂️Banding to bending 🤔

11 minutes ago, Wonky said:

I guess so. As your not ment to climb that above your anchor point

If your 250mm above your anchor point it would be a 500mm fall, just saying like.

the answer is it won’t kill you, may bruise the odd bit but nowt to panic about 🤔

• Like 5