Kubota 2120

cordwood

Uses the same deck as a g18. 4wd so would be handy if you need that plus having it take it self out of 4 wheel drive when turning it almost turns back on itself.

I think the g18 runs a more heavy duty transmission but the one I used to use had over 1000 hours on it and all that went wrong was the bar that connect and disconnects the 4wd.

G18 became the G21, so to answer your question precisely, yes it would be a "backward step" to go to a 2120.

That having been said, the GR range are still streets ahead of most of what's available. I have a GR1600 which is 15yrs old and just turned 1000hrs. Apart from service items it's needed a steering rod and the gas damper which assists with tipping the grass box, that's it. And it still looks better than my previous Castlegarden ride on looked after a year.

The main reason why it would be a backward step is that the G21 is just such a mighty machine. My local Kubota dealer told me that dealers and customers alike were well hacked off when they discontinued the G21 a year or two ago, and it really says something that after a couple of years they started to produce it again, that is a remarkably un-Japanese thing to do and they must have been under serious pressure to have to do it.

I'll probably upgrade my old mower in the next couple of years and although I'd dearly like one of them, the GR has been so good that I don't think I could justify the expense of the G21, so I think that's the real dilemma.

I think you'd need a G21 on demo for a day to evaluate properly to be honest.

Edited by coppice cutter