Modern saws staying out all night in wood?

drinksloe

Was clearing scrub on a job years ago, when customer brought out a cupper got talking and turns out the owners before them had shed brocken in to and all garden tools pinched. 

Carried on clearing and got to were it was thicker and saw a piece of carpet cleared around and lifted it and there was a chainsaw, turns out it was 10 years it had been there with new fuel it started. 

• Like 2

Dad left his saw under hedge in field he was working in while he went up for a brew, 20 minutes later it was gone!

Field in middle of nowhere, no houses for a mile and no obvious people around. It was our farm and I reckoned he lost it but we never did find it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Left my 372 out in the rain and sitting on its side  ( starter cover upper most ) . Never used it again that day . Went to start it a couple of days later and pulled the rope and the chain went round . Plenty of WD40 around the clutch bearing and it freed up . Don't leave them on their side !

Edited by Stubby

I think might carry it in out the now when still as cold as it is.

Snow still bumper deep and wee van had no chance even with snow tyres and socks on.

Big resivoir below still frozen almost right across.

I mind I left climbing saw up a tree for a while could off been a month or 6 weeks.

Just ran out off daylight when I was up and 1 off those jobs I never got back too, or weather as never right at wknds, for myself on my ground so no one moaning

Had to get it serviced as wouldnae start but hanging up on its strap so rain could get into carb.

Goes fine now, not that it goes much use.

I've left 562 and 572 Huskys out in the wood over night and for a few nights on many occasions.  Always been fine and started no bother, never in really cold weather, but have been caught out by snow at least once.  Like Stubby says, I always make sure they're sitting on their feet to give them the best chance of keeping the rain out.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, carlos said:

dont think id leave my saws outside over night even if i was the only person on the planet!!

U might think different when u have to lug it, ur petrol, wedges and sledge, 20 or 30T bottle Jack plus the most important thing, ur piece ( bait, or lunch if ur from down south 😀)

And always seems to be up hill on apply slopes and over brash matt's, walking in/out is the worst part off the job.

Aye but these woods are fairly remote, the site I'm on the now is not that remote but still 6 miles up a forest track throu a locked gate and up a small valley about 8 miles.

And probably 50 odd acre site.

I still couldnae get my 2wd van in the day, took a shortcut up some rides and snowdrifts over knee deep.

Althou I have been carrying saw in and out, just a wee touch cold for it