Groundie/climber current rates?

Paddy1000111

8 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Be interesting to see how that works out. I can imagine a lot of fresh new guys but unsure about all the new companies knowing how much financial investment there is in kit and training. Not being elitist or something here but I would be surprised if someone who's been made redundant from a lower income job could afford the set up costs.

I wonder if it will be a delayed reaction, new blood this year, new companies in 3 years 🤨

I know it seems expensive when you are setting up, but in reality there is so much competition because the barriers to entry are so low. It's a very cheap and easy industry to get into on a small scale. If you don't mind buying on finance you could be towing a brand new chipper with a brand new truck full of brand new saws for less than a grand a month. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

I know it seems expensive when you are setting up, but in reality there is so much competition because the barriers to entry are so low. It's a very cheap and easy industry to get into on a small scale. If you don't mind buying on finance you could be towing a brand new chipper with a brand new truck full of brand new saws for less than a grand a month. 

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought of it (mostly because I've got the horn for the new 2.8 Hilux invincible 😈) but you've got to have balls of steel to jump in with both feet like that without a single customer lined up. I have taken up a 0% transfer offer on a CC to cover training costs though, and should be able to buy climbing kit and possibly a trailer out of that too if needs be (already got a pickup just not a Hilux sadly)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Darkslider said:

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought of it (mostly because I've got the horn for the new 2.8 Hilux invincible 😈) but you've got to have balls of steel to jump in with both feet like that without a single customer lined up. I have taken up a 0% transfer offer on a CC to cover training costs though, and should be able to buy climbing kit and possibly a trailer out of that too if needs be (already got a pickup just not a Hilux sadly)

I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that it's a very cheap and easy business to set up (compared to most). 

• Like 2

Well that is true, it is cheap but then I look at plumbing, electrics and decorating. There's what feels like 2000 companies near me offering those services! 

All very well and good but you would be doing well to make enough money to live as a start up with £1000 a month going out 

Thinking about it, it's only the speed of training which makes this an easier industry. I think being an electrician, plumber, decorator, etc etc is a cheaper industry to start up in. Only stopper is training.

Edited by Paddy1000111

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Well that is true, it is cheap but then I look at plumbing, electrics and decorating. There's what feels like 2000 companies near me offering those services! 

All very well and good but you would be doing well to make enough money to live as a start up with £1000 a month going out 

Thinking about it, it's only the speed of training which makes this an easier industry. I think being an electrician, plumber, decorator, etc etc is a cheaper industry to start up in. Only stopper is training.

That's probably it, Joe public on the whole won't know the difference between a good reduction/prune/removal or a bad one, and as long as you get the job done without destroying his shed he'll probably be happy. Not many industries you can get tickets in a few months and start learning on paying jobs and get away with it if your luck holds out. If you tried that on someone's plumbing or electrics you wouldn't last long!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Darkslider said:

Joe public on the whole won't know the difference between a good reduction/prune/removal or a bad one.

One of the local tree surgeons posted up on my village facebook recently offering topping services with a picture of hat rack tree... That's what people want. I could do a beautiful 1-2m reduction and leave them with a reduced, slightly thinned tree but they will see better value for money from the hat rack POS some bandit with a top handle will give them for £130

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It's not even just speed of training, it's the embarrassingly low level you need to achieve to pass the NPTC units too. Let's be honest, there aren't many qualifications easier to obtain than these units. With other trades you learn how to do the job, with the NPTC you just have to prove that you can manage to put a few cuts in without killing anybody. The units are supposed to make sure people are at a bare minimum level to use a saw for work, but many see gaining the tickets as being 'qualified'. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darkslider said:

The truck is the last thing you should be financing. New vehichles are not really needed unless you are doing 50k miles a year, they don't add to the profitability of the job, and they depreciate like a stone.

New machinery, on the other hand, hold it's it's value and makes the job more profitable.

I have four new diggers and all kinds of machinery, but my newest truck is an 09 Iveco.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Retired Climber said:

It's not even just speed of training, it's the embarrassingly low level you need to achieve to pass the NPTC units too. Let's be honest, there aren't many qualifications easier to obtain than these units. With other trades you learn how to do the job, with the NPTC you just have to prove that you can manage to put a few cuts in without killing anybody. The units are supposed to make sure people are at a bare minimum level to use a saw for work, but many see gaining the tickets as being 'qualified'. 

Sadly, short of making people aware of using Arb approved contractors or some sort of milestone scheme which shows that you have knowledge of the biology of trees etc that will never change. There's a reason why tree surgeons are often seen as a gardener who can climb...